Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

getting my associates in may for Landscape development and Ornamental hort from Vermont Technical college which isnt to far from canada, great program, cheap
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

hey musclecarboy, i PM'd you. I went to humber, good course.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out Fanshawe collage in London very good hort tech program.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi MCB, lots of choices around for you. As I understand it one of the best college programs is the Niagara Parks School of Horticulture. http://www.niagaraparks.com/horticulture/school.php I believe it is a 3 year program.

Heres another vote for Humber where I studied - good program. I have a few colleagues that completed a similar program at Seneca (King Campus) and had good things to say about the course. Another person I worked with completed the Seneca program but then went on to Olds College. http://www.oldscollege.ab.ca/. If you want to get a university degree then the University of Guelph would be the way to go - I belive they have a horticulture degree. They also have a few certificate programs. There are also a few programs in BC that would be worthwhile looking into. One person I worked with went to school out there - don't remember the name of the school though.

If I had to do it over again I think I would sign up for the NPSH. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guelph also has a very well respected landscape architecture degree.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

musclecarboy- What type of business do you want to have? Lawncare? plantcare? fert? hardscape? deisgn build? You need to figure that out first.

Unless your business is just plantings, i do not think a hort degree is your best bet. Unless you love designing i wouldn't get a LA degree. You do not have to be a good designer to build great landscapes. You find great designers to work with.

It all depends on what type of business you want to run. If its designbuild like my business, i would take construction managment and business classes with no landscape classes.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrusk View Post
musclecarboy- What type of business do you want to have? Lawncare? plantcare? fert? hardscape? deisgn build? You need to figure that out first.

Unless your business is just plantings, i do not think a hort degree is your best bet. Unless you love designing i wouldn't get a LA degree. You do not have to be a good designer to build great landscapes. You find great designers to work with.

It all depends on what type of business you want to run. If its designbuild like my business, i would take construction managment and business classes with no landscape classes.
You do have a good point. I'm debating going through the new program at George Brown for a Bachelor of Applied Tech (http://www.georgebrown.ca/degrees/co...ence_main.aspx). It is a 4 year program but its close to home so the cost is a small issue. I'm not even sure if I'll continue in landscaping or move on to building custom homes. I have many mentors that build in my area that would take me under their wing and show me how everything's done. Everyone thinks becoming a millionaire isn't possible, but I think its VERY possible, if you play your cards right. I still have time to think things over so it'll be a long, hard choice.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarboy View Post
You do have a good point. I'm debating going through the new program at George Brown for a Bachelor of Applied Tech (http://www.georgebrown.ca/degrees/co...ence_main.aspx). It is a 4 year program but its close to home so the cost is a small issue. I'm not even sure if I'll continue in landscaping or move on to building custom homes. I have many mentors that build in my area that would take me under their wing and show me how everything's done. Everyone thinks becoming a millionaire isn't possible, but I think its VERY possible, if you play your cards right. I still have time to think things over so it'll be a long, hard choice.
I think you should go for construction management/business. That way you can do whatever you want. You can do big projects without extensive plant knowledge as long as you surround yourself with people who make up for your short comings. Thats what i do, and it works fine for me.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

University of Minnesota

We do landscape design, plants sales and delivery, full season landscape maintenance, mulch applications, edging installation, landscape bed installation, one time landscape renovations, spring and fall cleanups, and lawn maintenance division including mowing, fertility/weed control programs, and agronomics services.

Mike and Loriena Harrington

http://www.beautifulbloomslandscape.com
Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

University of Florida for a 4 year program,

Northern VA community college has a good two year program,