Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
Geeze.. I'm ready to work.. but I've got a lot to do before I'm really ready..

Getting new truck back from the fabricator next week.. then I've got to Vinyl it up.. and install the spray rig. gotta order materials... and get it tagged.. Just hired a new guy friday, gotta find one more for our door to door program, and get them trained, set up, and working. Gotta build a large display for the home show, and get all of our handouts ready, and presentations in place. then run it.. Gotta send out my 2nd wave of spring mailings.. I could keep going.....

And it ALL has to be done in about the next week and a half.. I figure I'm going to be pulling some late nights.. But i sure loved my couple months off!
Same here. I've got so much work to do before I start to work, I don't know what I'm doing here. And it's going to be 0 here tonight.
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell
Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did a preliminary roll-out last week with 4 of 6 trucks with no problems. All of them except Tree/Shrub truck rolling today as it looks like the weather may cooperate with less winds and little to no chance of rain. I was a bit concerned with seasonal weight-gain but good old Uncle Sam took care of that by taking a huge bite out of my **s with taxes. Always tends to make me hungry to push cash-flow this time of year.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

61 degrees in RI right now with warm wind blown spring rains. I'd love to be out there applying right now. I'm really itching for the spring!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Have you got much results from those yet? I think I am going to wait till about mid March to do mine.
From the 160 or so I put out on Saturday, I have to do 4 quotes today. With 2000 to distribute, it isn't too early for me, and I'm getting a fairly good respnse rate. I start with my spring cleanups in March, so that would be too late for me.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Last year i got an early start, feb.17. Getting clean ups done and started rnd 1 2nd. week in march. Looking forward to '08
Old 02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just finished plowing snow (again). One inch of (now frozen) slush plus six inches of snow on top. 30 -- 40 mph winds. Below zero temps next two nights. We've had snow cover since Thanksgiving. Other than a two week period in January, we've plowed snow at least twice a week since December 1, and we have gone through more ice melt than the previous 7 years combined. We are currently double the average total winter snow accumualtion and still going. We reached "normal" temps 8 days in the past 60. So much for a "mild winter" (which was predicted).........Yes I am feeding the birds.

Anybody got a snowmobile they wanta sell?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our area set a the snowfall record last week and we have received another 5 or 6 inches since then. It is getting hard to get ice melt product from my supplier, but I am not complaining. I am making great money doing snow removal. I am at least 8 weeks away from doing any applications.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I can't believe it...we are getting really close!

Are you guys ready to go for 08?

Do any of you dread the first week or two from being out of shape?

I am a little concerned...as I think I may weigh a "few" more pounds since I did my last app!

I am very nervous to get going. What about you all?
Rodney are you worried about getting tired walking over to your permagreen?
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Rodney are you worried about getting tired walking over to your permagreen?
Heck yea I am!

It's not as easy as it sounds!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

humble1 -- that was a GOOD one!

FdLLawnMan -- We're in the same boat. Thank God we only run 3 plow trucks............all of them Western of course (V & straight blade) which are made in WISCONSON. But this last snowfall, one of the 3 snowplow drivers went to Florida (to attend the NASCAR race) and did not even tell us. So we ran with just 2 plows, and it took 18 hours. BTW the "missing" employee is my brother-in-law! No wonder my wife calls him the black sheep of the family. LOL