Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
That Lesco price for the 25-2-5 50% was a pendi pre-M. Lesco's item # 084649. The Dimension is restricted here, I can't use it until I go from tech to applicator next year. I think I'd rather use the Barricade over the pendi anyway.

How much {ai} will you hit the turf with in your area? Will you go for a single load or split app? I'm not a big fan of 1 pound "N" in the spring on a single app. In my opinion high "N" in the springs promotes excessive top growth & clipping yields. I have also read studies from Purdue about diminished return in the plants root development due to synergy in shoot and blade activity.

Has anyone else considered low to no "N" in round 1. I like to rely on the winterizer and stored winter nutrients for my green color and start fert round 2. When I made the decision a few years ago i was worried about color. In review I've noticed plenty of spring color. I also noticed the lawns grow at a less aggressive rate but look awesome.

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Andersen View Post
anderson's product is a very good product. you will most likely save money over lesco's product.
At least they spell their name the right way!!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
How much {ai} will you hit the turf with in your area? Will you go for a single load or split app? I'm not a big fan of 1 pound "N" in the spring on a single app. In my opinion high "N" in the springs promotes excessive top growth & clipping yields. I have also read studies from Purdue about diminished return in the plants root development due to synergy in shoot and blade activity.

Has anyone else considered low to no "N" in round 1. I like to rely on the winterizer and stored winter nutrients for my green color and start fert round 2. When I made the decision a few years ago i was worried about color. In review I've noticed plenty of spring color. I also noticed the lawns grow at a less aggressive rate but look awesome.
I couldn't agree more. On my round 1 for the pre-emergent I use Dimension in a WSP form and spray it. I have had better results doing that than using it in the granular form. I also have received the same results that Mscotrid has found as far as green up in the spring. I could never justify early fertilization after explaining to my customers the need for the benefits of the late season fertilization and then right away early next spring hit it with nitrogen right away. In the long term that has the possibility to lead to less drought tolerance and more disease problems. The earliest I apply any nitrogen on my lawns would be May 15.

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not crazy about the .75 lb of N in the Anderson product either. At first I was just going to use pendi in a split app, but I don't want to deal with the staining, and this is a lot less expensive than splitting the app. I'd rather see it at 10-3-10 with some iron. These are new accounts, and I don't know what if anything was applied in the fall. With new customers, I think they want to see early greenup... I know, it's not the best thing to do, but next year I can change it up after my fall app.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post

I couldn't agree more. Our first app is 16-4-8, minimal top growth.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Went to the recertification classes for my license a couple days ago. Was told to stay away from split pre emerge applications. Guys that applying there pre-emerge by liquid is it costing more than granular. Trying to get around to posting the updates I heard at the seminar.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyslawn View Post
Went to the recertification classes for my license a couple days ago. Was told to stay away from split pre emerge applications. Guys that applying there pre-emerge by liquid is it costing more than granular. Trying to get around to posting the updates I heard at the seminar.
I'm not sure what kind of equipment you will use. I spray with hose/gun. .I use Lesco Stonewall (Barricade). Just the Pre-emerg, no fert costs me about $29/acre. Add Potash and/or Urea/Uflexx plus Lesco 3 way and costs go up and will vary of course according to rate used. That cost is for full rate/ single app. I've never run dry pre-emerg except for special cases. I've been told it is more expensive than going liquid.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I'm not sure what kind of equipment you will use. I spray with hose/gun. .I use Lesco Stonewall (Barricade). Just the Pre-emerg, no fert costs me about $29/acre. Add Potash and/or Urea/Uflexx plus Lesco 3 way and costs go up and will vary of course according to rate used. That cost is for full rate/ single app. I've never run dry pre-emerg except for special cases. I've been told it is more expensive than going liquid.
I priced both this year and it was more expensive to go liquid for me...so I stayed with dry.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$29 an acre sounds cheap, might have me talked into it. Planned on staying dry with a dimension/fert mix. Your color is really there till late May. Also have heard liquid will break down much faster than granular, but customers do like the spray hose coming out rather than the spreader.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyslawn View Post
$29 an acre sounds cheap, might have me talked into it. Planned on staying dry with a dimension/fert mix. Your color is really there till late May. Also have heard liquid will break down much faster than granular, but customers do like the spray hose coming out rather than the spreader.
I am about 1/3 done with my R-1 Pre-emerg. I will knock the rest out by the 3rd week of March and start my R-2 immediately. It will consist of 32-3-8 30%scu and spot spray weeds. In about a week I will start using UFLEXX at a .5 lb rate. I'm hoping this will help hold the color until I get back to those customers with dry fert. This is a big change from what I have done in the past but fertilizer has become too expensive to just throw around anymore. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and still give the quality results my customers expect. I don't know whether liquid breaks down any quicker than dry but I have always felt I get a more even app out of liquid than a dry product...I have no proof to back that up.JMO