Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Mscotrid's Avatar
Mscotrid Mscotrid is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
That Lesco price for the 25-2-5 50% was a pendi pre-M. Lesco's item # 084649. The Dimension is restricted here, I can't use it until I go from tech to applicator next year. I think I'd rather use the Barricade over the pendi anyway.

How much {ai} will you hit the turf with in your area? Will you go for a single load or split app? I'm not a big fan of 1 pound "N" in the spring on a single app. In my opinion high "N" in the springs promotes excessive top growth & clipping yields. I have also read studies from Purdue about diminished return in the plants root development due to synergy in shoot and blade activity.

Has anyone else considered low to no "N" in round 1. I like to rely on the winterizer and stored winter nutrients for my green color and start fert round 2. When I made the decision a few years ago i was worried about color. In review I've noticed plenty of spring color. I also noticed the lawns grow at a less aggressive rate but look awesome.
__________________

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Victor's Avatar
Victor Victor is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Andersen View Post
anderson's product is a very good product. you will most likely save money over lesco's product.
At least they spell their name the right way!!!!

__________________
Vic Cundiff
Owner, Par 5 Lawn Care
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
FdLLawnMan's Avatar
FdLLawnMan FdLLawnMan is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: East Central WI
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
How much {ai} will you hit the turf with in your area? Will you go for a single load or split app? I'm not a big fan of 1 pound "N" in the spring on a single app. In my opinion high "N" in the springs promotes excessive top growth & clipping yields. I have also read studies from Purdue about diminished return in the plants root development due to synergy in shoot and blade activity.

Has anyone else considered low to no "N" in round 1. I like to rely on the winterizer and stored winter nutrients for my green color and start fert round 2. When I made the decision a few years ago i was worried about color. In review I've noticed plenty of spring color. I also noticed the lawns grow at a less aggressive rate but look awesome.
I couldn't agree more. On my round 1 for the pre-emergent I use Dimension in a WSP form and spray it. I have had better results doing that than using it in the granular form. I also have received the same results that Mscotrid has found as far as green up in the spring. I could never justify early fertilization after explaining to my customers the need for the benefits of the late season fertilization and then right away early next spring hit it with nitrogen right away. In the long term that has the possibility to lead to less drought tolerance and more disease problems. The earliest I apply any nitrogen on my lawns would be May 15.
__________________
Mike I
Mike's Total Lawn Care

I love my country, but mistrust my government, and the government doesn't create jobs, it just takes my money and gives it to other people or groups it thinks it can bribe.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Whitey4's Avatar
Whitey4 Whitey4 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,448
I'm not crazy about the .75 lb of N in the Anderson product either. At first I was just going to use pendi in a split app, but I don't want to deal with the staining, and this is a lot less expensive than splitting the app. I'd rather see it at 10-3-10 with some iron. These are new accounts, and I don't know what if anything was applied in the fall. With new customers, I think they want to see early greenup... I know, it's not the best thing to do, but next year I can change it up after my fall app.
__________________
Just me and Badger the beer dog!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
jrc lawncare's Avatar
jrc lawncare jrc lawncare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: upstate ny
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
How much {ai} will you hit the turf with in your area? Will you go for a single load or split app? I'm not a big fan of 1 pound "N" in the spring on a single app. In my opinion high "N" in the springs promotes excessive top growth & clipping yields. I have also read studies from Purdue about diminished return in the plants root development due to synergy in shoot and blade activity.

Has anyone else considered low to no "N" in round 1. I like to rely on the winterizer and stored winter nutrients for my green color and start fert round 2. When I made the decision a few years ago i was worried about color. In review I've noticed plenty of spring color. I also noticed the lawns grow at a less aggressive rate but look awesome.
I couldn't agree more. Our first app is 16-4-8, minimal top growth.
__________________
Owner..AGLS...certified applicator
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 PM
wiseguyslawn's Avatar
wiseguyslawn wiseguyslawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 457
Went to the recertification classes for my license a couple days ago. Was told to stay away from split pre emerge applications. Guys that applying there pre-emerge by liquid is it costing more than granular. Trying to get around to posting the updates I heard at the seminar.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-21-2008, 10:12 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyslawn View Post
Went to the recertification classes for my license a couple days ago. Was told to stay away from split pre emerge applications. Guys that applying there pre-emerge by liquid is it costing more than granular. Trying to get around to posting the updates I heard at the seminar.
I'm not sure what kind of equipment you will use. I spray with hose/gun. .I use Lesco Stonewall (Barricade). Just the Pre-emerg, no fert costs me about $29/acre. Add Potash and/or Urea/Uflexx plus Lesco 3 way and costs go up and will vary of course according to rate used. That cost is for full rate/ single app. I've never run dry pre-emerg except for special cases. I've been told it is more expensive than going liquid.
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM
rcreech's Avatar
rcreech rcreech is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: OHIO
Posts: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I'm not sure what kind of equipment you will use. I spray with hose/gun. .I use Lesco Stonewall (Barricade). Just the Pre-emerg, no fert costs me about $29/acre. Add Potash and/or Urea/Uflexx plus Lesco 3 way and costs go up and will vary of course according to rate used. That cost is for full rate/ single app. I've never run dry pre-emerg except for special cases. I've been told it is more expensive than going liquid.
I priced both this year and it was more expensive to go liquid for me...so I stayed with dry.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM
wiseguyslawn's Avatar
wiseguyslawn wiseguyslawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 457
$29 an acre sounds cheap, might have me talked into it. Planned on staying dry with a dimension/fert mix. Your color is really there till late May. Also have heard liquid will break down much faster than granular, but customers do like the spray hose coming out rather than the spreader.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 PM
ted putnam's Avatar
ted putnam ted putnam is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguyslawn View Post
$29 an acre sounds cheap, might have me talked into it. Planned on staying dry with a dimension/fert mix. Your color is really there till late May. Also have heard liquid will break down much faster than granular, but customers do like the spray hose coming out rather than the spreader.
I am about 1/3 done with my R-1 Pre-emerg. I will knock the rest out by the 3rd week of March and start my R-2 immediately. It will consist of 32-3-8 30%scu and spot spray weeds. In about a week I will start using UFLEXX at a .5 lb rate. I'm hoping this will help hold the color until I get back to those customers with dry fert. This is a big change from what I have done in the past but fertilizer has become too expensive to just throw around anymore. I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and still give the quality results my customers expect. I don't know whether liquid breaks down any quicker than dry but I have always felt I get a more even app out of liquid than a dry product...I have no proof to back that up.JMO
__________________
"The Poor Fish" circa 1930's: The Poor Fish wouldn't have been caught if he'd known enough to keep his fool mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.11232 seconds with 7 queries