Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Fastrac vs Scag Freedom

We have 24 acres but I brush hog most of it. The wife currently mows 2 or 3 acres around the house with a Craftsman lawn tractor, takes about 5 or more hours.

I first thought we needed full commercial but frankly for a 52-54" machine the prices are $6500 and up. So we are now considering the Hustler Fastrac 20/54 and the Scag Freedom Z 52", probablly with 19 or 23 HP Kawaski.

I am impressed with the looks of both mowers and Hustler's 4 year residential warranty.

However, at the end of last season I was close to pulling the trigger on the Hustler Mini-Z for about $6500 or so. But that was for a 19/54.

On one of the other boards there were two homeowners that have the Mini Z 19/54 and both said their mowers were underpowered. They both also said they felt the decks aren't deep enough at 4" in that they don't don't provide enough lift.

I'm pretty sure the Scag has a 5" deck.

Why does nobody say much about the Hustler 4" deck? I am assuming if the mini Z has a 4" deck the fastrac does also.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlumnus View Post
Why does nobody say much about the Hustler 4" deck? I am assuming if the mini Z has a 4" deck the fastrac does also.
No one says anything because they work and work good.
The FasTrak, FasTrak SD, Mini Z and Super Mini Z 44/52/48/54 all use this same deck design / depth, it works.
Deeper decks aren't always better, and we have proved that in our testing.
As to being under powered, that is a opinion, I can bog down a 37hp unit as easily as someone can do the same with the 19/52 unit you almost bought last year.
If you cut at the right speed for the conditions, you will be fine, if you run full throttle full speed through wet or over grown conditions you are going to get bogging down, that is with any mower with any engine / deck combination.
Go talk to your dealer, ask for a demo, try them out, feel which mower is better handling and is more comfortable, I feel you will be going home with a Hustler.
When looking at the Scag Freedom look at the features and how thing operate, cables vs steel linkage and such.
Let us know how you make out.

Pj
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I know what you mean by the cable on the freedom z. I looked at Hustlers and Exmarks again today. I'm just not comfortable with the 4" deck. I am now looking more to the Hustler Z with 60" XR7 for $7499, and comparing it to a Scag Tiger Cub. So I guess I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the homeowner models and will probably spend a little more money.

Also looked at and drove (but did not mow with) an Exmark Laser HP 23/56. Strangely, one dealer quoted $7722, another quoted $9500! As far as I can tell the Exmark and Hustler Z both use the same 10cc pumps and motors, but the Hustler has a 25HP Kaw and a 60" deck for $222 less.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAlumnus View Post
I know what you mean by the cable on the freedom z. I looked at Hustlers and Exmarks again today. I'm just not comfortable with the 4" deck. I am now looking more to the Hustler Z with 60" XR7 for $7499, and comparing it to a Scag Tiger Cub. So I guess I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable with the homeowner models and will probably spend a little more money.

Also looked at and drove (but did not mow with) an Exmark Laser HP 23/56. Strangely, one dealer quoted $7722, another quoted $9500! As far as I can tell the Exmark and Hustler Z both use the same 10cc pumps and motors, but the Hustler has a 25HP Kaw and a 60" deck for $222 less.
You need to carefully compare units. the Hustler Z is a full framed unit not a mini framed unit like the Tiger Cub.
Feature for feature and pricing, you will find the Hustler wins.
Try them out, demo them, again I think you will be going with the Hustler.

Pj
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Drive them all. The Hustler will be much easier and smoother to operate. Like PJ said, the Hustler, regardless of the model, has so many other features for your money.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have had many customers compare our hustlers to other brands. Scag, Exmark..ext.. One person that stands out in my mind Looked over every nut and bolt on our Hustler Z 25/60 with the XR7 like you described. He came back about 4 times and said he looked at every brand sold in our area, he went with the huster becasue he said nothing he looked at compared to the quality that the hustler has on thier entire unit.

Since then we have had to mail this guy about 10 checks for sending business our way.

Demo everything you can in your area. See which works best in your cutting situations. You will be verry impressed with the hustler.