Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2000, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking into buying a new ZTR mower. Somewhere around 48" cut. I was looking at the new Husqvarna 4819 and the toro 4417. I can't decide which one to buy and wanted some opinions on them or another good ZTR riders that others use. I live in Fl and mow a lot of St.Augustine.
Old 02-13-2000, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Husky ZTR is a Keys painted orange. One thing I did not like about the small ZTR by Keys was the deck adjustments. It was a four pin system and you had to stop and dismount to change height. There was talk of changing this last year...I have not looked at them lately.<br>The Toro would make a good mower. <br>Look at Exmark and any others available in your area before you decide.<br>Do not pay asking price and make them let you demo the unit. Not just drive it around the parking lot. It is hard to see the cut on pavement.
Old 02-13-2000, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not give my money to Husgvarna, they are the ones inventing the remote control lawn mower to hurt our business. You know all the wealthy people will drop the cash on that new toy and if it is worthy, then we could be in trouble.<br>How about lesco. The sign behind the counter reads &quot;Sorry (home owners)while we take care of our comercial customers first&quot;. It should say &quot;Drive down the road to Home Depot and buy that fert and seed for less money than what we sell it to our &quot;cherished&quot; comercial customers for&quot;. <br>As for Toro, they always put out a competitive comercial mower and you should have decent luck with their quality and customer service.
Old 02-13-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Snake, how much is the Husqvarna you are looking at? Accuratelawn, is right, they are a Kees painted orange. I have seen the &quot;baby&quot; Kees for as little as $4800 I think. I have a 61&quot; large frame Kees and I like it. I cut 90% St. Augustine and it has done well so far. I don't really like the &quot;baby&quot; model though. In the smaller class I would go with the Exmark. However you should look into the 52&quot; or 61&quot; Kees or Husqvarna, you might like it better.
Old 02-13-2000, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the info. The Husky 48&quot; cut 19 hp is about 6500 here but I saw it at a recent mower show and was told I could buy it for 6000. I didn't know that it was kees if thats the case I don't think I want to buy a mower that is like a middle man. I think the 52&quot; would be to big for me. I am still debating on what brand to buy.<br>
Old 02-13-2000, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

nlminc--from your post here, are you suggesting that as a professional lawn care person that you don't feel welcome trading at lesco because they would put service to you ahead of a homeowner? do you feel that this is discrimination? I hesitate to post this because I do not understand your point in the correlation between husky mowers and seeds and fert at lesco. can you explain further so that we (I) might better understand? thanks.<p>GEO
Old 02-13-2000, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Geo, I was just stating that companies like husky and lesco get to me with their way of doing business. If lesco wants to give us the best deal, then why are the Lesco brand ferts and seeds selling for less at Home Depot. They claim to give us contractors the best price, when they are really giving it to the general public. These companies claim to be benifitial to us , but they turn around and bite us in the butt by allowing home owners to buy the product for less or in huskys case give the home owner the option for an economical alternitive to a weekly lawn service provider. You have to agree, that their new remote controlled mower would look pretty attractive to some to some of those wealthy home owners. That mower may be ten years from perfection for all I know, but I would rather give my money to Toro or Walker etc. etc. than to some company that is biting the hand that feeds it.<br>
Old 02-13-2000, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Snake, I use my 61&quot; in some pretty small lawn and it works well. What size lawns are you mowing?<p>nlminc, I will agree with you on the Lesco deal. But I think the Husqvarna remote mower is just a toy. Afterall they will have to come up with a remote edger, hedge trimmer, line trimmer and blower to be fully automated <br>
Old 02-14-2000, 12:02 AM
Lawnsite Addict

nlminc it's called buying power, if home depot calls lesco and ask's for 5000 tons of product at a set price per bag on a five year deal they will work out a better price than you or I get. Two years ago I was doing a golf course had 16,000 sq. ft. brick pavers 3/4 thru the job manufacture run out of brick. Find out that home depot has big order for same brick and the sales man tells me that home depot is getting my brick and at less than I'm paying for it, makes me mad but I hold my temper and tell the sales man that this is the last time that I'm using his product, 6 hrs. later I get a call that my brick is being shipped, balance of order 4000 sq.ft. I have an advantage over most in my line I use alot of material, their company does not want to lose my account. <p>----------<br>paul<p>
Old 02-14-2000, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

nlminc--thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean now. I have never considered lesco products at home depot to be an option because they don't carry the volume of fert and seed to do a decent sized job. their stock is not rotated, you can't get any help to get loaded, home depot associates don't recomend lesco products, and by the time you push a wagon with 500 pounds of stuff on it to the cashieer, you are dead beat tired. I checked HD out this past fall for lesco transition blend seed and it was a year and a half old. went to lesco, seed was fresh, bags of fert was fresh, all was loaded, out the door in less than 10 minutes. I didn't pay much more for the order at lesco although I admit I didn't add everything up to compare.<p>I suppose if you had a crappy lesco store and a good HD then the story would be reversed. <p>I am not up on husky's remote mower. heck! I might want of those! good day to all. lets take our sweetie's out for a nice valentine's dinner!<p>GEO