Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Works great to repel deer and rabbits from ornamentals due to the smell. Need to re-apply after rain.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-lm1 View Post
Works great to repel deer and rabbits from ornamentals due to the smell. Need to re-apply after rain.

why reapply after rain
Old 02-20-2008, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Milorganite is made from biosolid(peoples processed poo) it is full of heavy metals. The ground you apply heavy metals to over a long period of time or else large loads of poo can saturate soil with heavy metals. Further more biosolids, DO contain traces of pharmasueticals(? Spelling). Just a thought: that if your intention is organics than this is a bad decision, but if it is just to get fertilizer than why not buy one with Potassium which the lawns need.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

The rain has a tendency to dilute the smell of the product. If you want a really good animal repellent, use liquid fence. A natural product that comes in concentrated form or RTU. Smells awful at first but works excellent.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

milorganite doesnt smell I just hate that a lot of people around here in Milwaukee where i live thinks its the best thing for their lawn. But yea i dont know if i would trust my kids or animals playing in something that came from jones island.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is does smell, at least in the bag when they were stacked in my garage! But after a few weeks even that smell went away.

I'm not impressed at all with the Milorginate, matter of fact I have a full pallet's worth taking up room in my shed because I don't know what to do with it. I was a little "misinformed" I believe when I inquired about it and was told that it WILL work at a 4 to 5 lb. rate, even though the bag calls for the 'half rate' of like 8 lbs. per K. I ended up applying it at that half rate, and was told that numerous guys use it like that (for summer feeding) and it greens so great, blah blah blah. Well< for starters, it wsa so expensive I was hardly making anything when I out it down. (why? because my customers didn't request the stuff, I just thought it would be for the best, can't raise the price based on that).

I gave it 2 to 3 weeks to show a green-up, and it did not. I even tried it on my own lawn at the full rate, actually a little more than full rate, and I hardly saw any responce at all (this was in the *early* fall).

If anyone close to me would like to buy 35 bags or so, I'd be happy to get them out of my shed! I've tried to hock them to 3 golf courses and they wouldn't bite either. I just know that I have no desire to waste my time or money spreading it anymore.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

good product

miloganite is a good all around product, and the price is fair.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
gave it 2 to 3 weeks to show a green-up, and it did not. I even tried it on my own lawn at the full rate, actually a little more than full rate, and I hardly saw any responce at all (this was in the *early* fall).
All of the nitrogen in milorganite is tied up. It releases the nitrogen as it decomposes. Decomposition needs heat and moisture. So if you apply it during the fall you will get very little response. In addition it is only about 6% N. To get a pound of N per thousand you need 16-17 pounds of material per thousand.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsRUsInc. View Post
milorganite doesnt smell I just hate that a lot of people around here in Milwaukee where i live thinks its the best thing for their lawn. But yea i dont know if i would trust my kids or animals playing in something that came from jones island.
It does smell. everyone was asking what i was putting down. i dont think ill be using this product again. i still feel like im about to gag and i put this crap down this morning @ a pretty heavy rate i might ad. only reason i tried it is because i was told it promotes early greenup in bermuda grasses.. i think im just gonna stick to the usual scotts brand or something
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I put 5 lb around the base of a 1" Pin Oak once to see if the Fe would help the tree. The family Scottish Terror ate it all
"But at home one is bound with petty regulations and irksome restraints.....He feels lost even in great crowds, for nothing and no one seem in sympathy. The people he knows may be good fellows, but they do not understand him, and he does not understand them. he longs to get back to the bush, for there he felt an exaltation that no civilized land can possibly supply." -Denis D. Lyell