Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

How many 'one man shows' out there?

So how 'bout it?
Who's a one man show and would you care to describe your present situation?? (Failures, successes, number of accounts, why a certain number of acounts are good for you, your average net worth, do you do aeration + seeding as well or just apps., and why,etc.)

Would love to hear from you guys concerning this.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

as a one man show I do all the applications and selling and bookwork I may have some part time help to do the aerations.
when i am the only one doing the applications quality control goes way up .
i can count the # of resprays on one hand over the last three years.
no worries about a employee doing the wrong yard or not doing the yard at all.
customers get use to the same applicator every round and seem to appreciate that.
right now I'am doing 175 properties .most customers take 3 to five apps. I also do a perimiter spray.I usually do this when on the lawn for a application. I feel that i can service up to 400 lawns ,
I try to market in a tight area to stay effecient.I like to treat 18-20 lawns
per day or 175,000 sq.ft.
Generally speaking I can Net myself $800.00 per day if I can meet these goals.
I think that my prices are probably on the higher end of the scale ,but
love to compete with the nationwide low ballers.
If i get a chance to speak with a prospect and get a chance to justify my price I will end up with a sale it may not be 5 apps. but I can live with that.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

i do a 6 step program jan,thur nov, i do all work myself and for last 18 years about 240 lawns at this time itry to keep 250 i do $400 per day work about 4 or 5 hours a day. i am 54 years old so dont work as hard as i use to, prices on fert have me concerned this year. i charge 43.40 for 4000 sq ft min bid. i need to go up but i will see what other co. do
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a one man show. I started two years ago, part time, and I worked up to about 120 accounts at the end of last year. So, I decided to make it my full time gig about 3 weeks ago. I fully expect to be up to 250 accounts by the end of the year with some aggressive marketing.

I already have all of my existing accounts finished with my R-1. It takes me ~5-8 days to spray 120 accounts. I would profit ~ $600 a day during that span. Too bad I don't have enough to spray every day, 365 days a year!

I believe that I can get up to at least 400 before hiring another guy. My goal would be to get to 400 or so, and save enough money to build a building before hiring my first employee. I currently work out of my house, and I am concerned about the next step, even though it is a ways off.

Last edited by Turfdoctor1; 02-19-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: not complete
Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Iam a one man show thats the only way to work and some time a womens there to.I dont think that i would hire some one been there done that i dont think so we have a deli with one employee thats one to many but you have to have some one and my wife is in charge of that.
Charles Cue
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One man show, but my wife puts in about an hour a day on the books. Do about 13 to 18 applications per day. about 120,000 sq ft per day. No seeding or aeration.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I started 6 yrs ago on my own part time while I worked at the FD. Went full time 3 yrs ago. I have 2 trucks(1 paid off) and 2 of everything else except the PG. I only have one of those. I have a guy I used to work with at the FD help me 18-24 hrs a week. I doubt I do much more than what we can handle. Finding the right person, hiring them, training has all been a major headache in the past. I plan to gain more accounts but I want to maximize my profits by pricing right and being more efficient. I hope to get another ride-on soon. I think this will help me achieve my goals. I do all the record keeping. My wife's too busy grading papers and being a teacher/mother.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lawns View Post
So how 'bout it?
Who's a one man show and would you care to describe your present situation?? (Failures, successes, number of accounts, why a certain number of acounts are good for you, your average net worth, do you do aeration + seeding as well or just apps., and why,etc.)

Would love to hear from you guys concerning this.
Currently I am a one man show and getting ready to add my Dad (and maybe by brother in law part time).

After that...I think I am done growing.

I would like to get up to maybe 450-500 accounts and then just maintain it right there!

I am just too scared to hire someone as stated earlier because the quality and service may go down. It is hard to find good help that will not only show up everyday...but also show up on time and WANT to work.

One of the things I push and it sells to a lot of folk around here is being small and doing the work myself. If I start to hire...then I am no better then the "big boys"IMO as it will be out of my hands.

I have about 260+ accounts right now (avg of 25K), and about 15 commercial accounts with most of them ranging from 1.5-23 acres.

I love the "weed and feed" aspect but also focus a lot on seeding. This is becoming a major part of my business! I also offer Perimeter Pest, Aeration and Mole Control.

I think staying small is the best way to go...but others will tell you different. It just depends on how much headache you want I guess!

Are you looking at staying small or getting big?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another 1 man show here. Been fertin & Squirtin since 1985, on my own since 1995.

Currently have 350 customers 90% residential. 5 app program with the usual Fert,Crab,Weed,Lime & grub control. I also offer a mosquito program and do about 30-50 Aer & seeds a year and maybe 20 slice seeds. I did some good marketing in tight areas, I have 140 customers in the town I live in. I give myself 42 days between rounds.

Sounds like I work alot, but I really dont. The most important thing for me is seeing my kids every morning before they get on the bus, attending every game, concert and parent meeting they have. Then being home every night to enjoy dinner with every one of them. I have 4 girls 16 to 6. I also put about 20k miles a year on my motorcycle and spend as much time relaxing by the pool once the temps hit 90!

For the last 5 years Ive been averaging just a hair under 6 figures for my salary. My wife works behind the desk 2 days a week and she makes much more than I do Per hr that is...

I couldn't be happier!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cormier View Post
Another 1 man show here. Been fertin & Squirtin since 1985, on my own since 1995.

Currently have 350 customers 90% residential. 5 app program with the usual Fert,Crab,Weed,Lime & grub control. I also offer a mosquito program and do about 30-50 Aer & seeds a year and maybe 20 slice seeds. I did some good marketing in tight areas, I have 140 customers in the town I live in. I give myself 42 days between rounds.

Sounds like I work alot, but I really dont. The most important thing for me is seeing my kids every morning before they get on the bus, attending every game, concert and parent meeting they have. Then being home every night to enjoy dinner with every one of them. I have 4 girls 16 to 6. I also put about 20k miles a year on my motorcycle and spend as much time relaxing by the pool once the temps hit 90!

For the last 5 years Ive been averaging just a hair under 6 figures for my salary. My wife works behind the desk 2 days a week and she makes much more than I do Per hr that is...

I couldn't be happier!
That is AWESOME!

What you just described is the TRUE definition of SUCCESS IMO.

That is great!