Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2001, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

tailgate leaf loader

Thinking about maybe getting one for next season. Tailgate loader seems to be a more economical option and is smaller than the hitched models. Does anyone out there use them or know anyone that does and is it worth the investment.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...light=leaf+vac

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...light=leaf+vac

I have used both sevral different ways, All have their perpose and you have to decide which one fits your needs and business.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Member

One of the main drawbacks as I see it is you'll need another truck to pull your trailer with mowers, blowers etc.. If you have 2 trucks then it would work fine. Plus it's another big, expensive piece of equipment sitting until you need it. I like the tailgate loader because it's on, off and you can pull your trailer behind it. I could not do the volume of business I do without a truck loader, no way.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ive been researching this too, and am probably going to get one in the spring or next fall. i saw a really good idea the other day for mounting the sucker itself. a guy took a reese hitch, just the hitch part, nothing else(the box), and welded it to the front part of his trailer. that way you buy the reese hitch loader model, and you just slide it in and pop a pin in. if you want it off, just pop the pin off and away you go.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Agree, a popular method with smaller operators around here is to mount the loader to the front of the trailer.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For the first time in many years this season I noticed that it was actually more productive to mulch leaves and vac some than it was to tarp them and suck them at curbside. We have been able to mulch most everything up and last week was the first full bagging week. The leaf conditions have been rather dry, and its just made things very smooth.

I agree that the way to do it is to hook the unit to your trailer and then devise a dump box for easier unloading.

Kris
Old 11-08-2001, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to buy one next year to suck up all of my leaves. I want to get some sub business from other lawn care companies, and have them bring the leaves to the curb for me to load and haul away. Is anyone else providing this service or utilizing a service such as this?
Bill!
Old 11-08-2001, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes as a matter of fact we are, its called curbside pickup -LOL!!!

I would think that if you could organize a service such as this to coordinate with the mowing crews (yours or otherwise) that it might be something of value.

I like the idea of not having to haul away debris which would mean more productivity for me, and I would also not have to incur the extra expenses associated with extra diesel costs (that would be incorporated in your package price) in the late fall which accompany hauling leaves.

This would also mean that in upscale areas that are limited to 9 bags at the curb for leaf removal that we could dump bulk at the curbs and your crews could follow-up in the afternoon/pm that same day.

Sounds like a win win situation to me.
Kris
Old 11-08-2001, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you price curbside pick up?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 11-08-2001, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

tailgate leaf loader

Just commenting on the loader,I just bought an 11hp. with 8" flexhose and fabbed a swinging tailgate that it mounts on. Then built a plywood box and cut a hole at top with 2x2' expanded metal . It has amazed me at the amount I get on the truck bed.When full, the bummer is unloading with a fork out the back. Going to , when time allows , put a flatbed and hoist under it. With the big piles I unhook my trailer and drive right back to the piles and load.Use walk behind to shove the piles out to curb ,then blow the scattered remains.With two you can tarp them out effective but by myself I use the mower to shove the piles.