Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2000, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

crabgrass and broadleaf...and yes i'm taking my certified applicator test in a few weeks..
Old 02-12-2000, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

slager,<p>You're not going to get pre-emergent control of broadleaf weeds with the products you'll come across. Just annual grasses like crabgrass, goosegrass, etc.<p>It is possible to pre-control broadleafs, but not without a lot of $.<p>...just a detail.
Old 02-12-2000, 09:06 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
http://www.rohmhaas.com/businesses/AgChem/PDFfiles/DimensionTO.pdf
Old 02-12-2000, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lawrence<br>Thanx for the input. That link is outdated, by the way. Go right to dimensionpro.com.<p>Dimension was a hot product 2-3 years ago. Most guys I know applied granular pre- w/fertilizer and now are back to the regular pendamethalin. I think they just didn't like the Dimension combo products and the way they spread.<br>
Old 02-13-2000, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Member

lazer,<br>thanks..so when you say spread..does that mean a little too much here and not enough there.i guess i meant to control post broadleaf with dimension...that would be more of a weedn feed product then eh?i just got together with lesco rep the other day and he's writing up a game plan for me.<br>what products do you use?<br>thanks,<p>----------<br>rick<br>slager
Old 02-13-2000, 08:05 AM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Slager I posted a link to the label of dimension. Within that label contains all<br>the answers to your questions.<p>If you cannot read that label how do you expect to be able to pass the core pesticide<br>test? <p>Search for labels of differnet pesticides by<br>using a search engine. If you can't read the<br>label how do you know what the product does,<br>when to apply and when not to apply, application rates for diferent species of turfgrass, and any precautionary statments<br>and reentry infromation.<p>The ability to understand chemistry, math, and soil sceince is what distinguishes the<br>green industry professionals who get all the<br>high end high margin jobs while the mom and pop &quot;lawn cutters&quot; wait like dogs under the table and fight for any scraps that might fall from that table.
Old 02-13-2000, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We rotate different products, and follow different 'prescriptions' based on each lawn and its needs (history-see my post on IPM). Pendimethalin is often used because it is cheap. As mentioned, read the label to find out coverage and expected results. It controls certain weeds effectively, and in general for excellent crabgrass control, a .86% Pendi product needs to be applied twice (in my area of Southern CT) with a 6 week interval. It must be watered in to be effective. Now, TeamPRO is available, and also inexpensive. Same rules apply for it, and it was designed (.86% AI also) to compete with Pendimethalin products. Dimension is a horse of a different color. We use it for reliable results and for late applications. It has a limited (especially in granular form) post emergent control window for Crabgrass, and costs a lot more than the other products. Maybe if you seeded a lawn last fall and want to let it grow a little, you would consider using Dimension. Barricade is one of the most expensive control products, but it generally works. I witnessed the test plots last summer at the University of Rhode Island, to see first hand what works and what doesn't. Team actually did very well for the price, which surprised me. The others did predictably as well as their labels suggest. Spreadability and particle consistency of products like Dimension has never been a problem for me. Dimension liquid, in combo with a broadleaf post-emergent is one of the best ways to kill weeds and prevent more crabgrass (like a round 2 application). It is also quite expensive, so most operators do not employ its use. We sell/use Andersons Fert with Dimension, and Scott's Fert with Pendimethalin. This year we added the Anderson's with TeamPRO to the list.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider
Old 02-13-2000, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks phil very helpful...<br>and lawerence i happen to like dogs under my table...we're you ever starting out or we're yu always that smart?please don't reply to any of my posts i'd rather not have your intellectual smarts..thank you<br><p>----------<br>rick<br>slager
Old 02-13-2000, 12:30 PM
Banned

Phil-<p>I was wondering how and where you located those test plots. How would I be able to find something like that in my area. University of Illinois, Maybe? Lesco might know? &lt;p&gt;I would travel anywhere in the state to be able to compare and use with confidence products of this nature, since I have little or no experience with them. I'd rather see the results firsthand like you did than rely on a sales rep who may just make 10% more by pushing one product over another.&lt;p&gt;John
Old 02-13-2000, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

John- join Illinois Turfgrass Fdtn, http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/itf/itf.html, and you should be exposed to this type of info. Each state land grant univ has turfgrass sample plots and run numerous tests on chemicals. Associations have field days each year. You won't see everything every year, but the cumulative exposure is most rewarding.<p>Indiana's MRTF has a field day last Tue of July. Morning is usually formal, very informative tours, and after lunch you can see and ask about research plots. Have also been to Mich Turf field day; pretty much same format. If you want to have info on Indiana field day (at W. Lafayette) email me and I'll let you know later when they publish applications.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana