Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fuel tax you might get money back

So I always hear people saying how much big oil makes on fuel.
The avg gas station owner makes 1-1.5 cents per gallon
The oil company that invests in the rigs, refinery transporting makes about 8 cents per gallon profit

Does anyone know the biggest profitor of a gallon of gas?

You may have said The Fed and state governments that dont handle the gas or oil, the have no liability yet they make somewhere on avg 35-40 cents per gallon pure profit off of us.

So what can you do?

Most states have a certain amount of money per gallon sold that is considered "ON ROAD USAGE TAX" this is money paid at the pump.

If you use gas offroad like we all do, and you keep receipts you can get that portion for off road back in the form of a rebate. Contact your state Dept of road tolls or on road fuel tax office. Dept of transportation might help you ou also. Tell them you use a large amount of fuel off road and you need to fill out the rebate form for off road useage. You need to keep reciepts for proof. For me it is easy i have a disel truck so any unleaded is all off road use. Boat fuel recreational vehicle fall in there also. It varies by state as to what you can get back.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having to keep record of 2 receipts, one for mower/2 cycle fuel one for vehicle fuel. My accountant will do the rest. I believe it is 50.5 cents a mile for the truck and 40 cents a gallon rebate for the road tax rebate.

It will be a help for sure. Shoot, all you have to do is keep up with it. And actually since most of us need more than $75 in gas at each fill up when the mowers and gas cans are present it is easier to do it separate so you can get the off-road fuel at one time and the road fuel on the other.

Great thread! Should help every single business on this forum!!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe its federal road tax not state. There is a place now on you federal return to get "reimbursed" for off road use of fuel. The old way you needed to use a large amount of fuel to qualify for a rebate and file quarterly or something like that. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why doesn't the govorment and/or the press report the "profit" made by taxes the way it reports Exxon's profits?
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydale View Post
Why doesn't the govorment and/or the press report the "profit" made by taxes the way it reports Exxon's profits?
Because the day our gov't makes a profit will be a very cold day.....

Fixing federal highways and...

Pork barrel spending along with every other entitlement program for the senators/congress and former presidents spends enough money to eat up the road tax assessed to fuel.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

RU sure stations only make a penny a gallon? All you hear is the gas stations complaining about their supply prices going up, but you hear nothing of what kind of under the carpet profits they are making (of course they are not going to tell you that). We have some local price variations around here that make me wonder if certain areas are commingling and pumping up the price a bit.

And the refineries are not getting off tough either...they sure as heck are making a tidy sum at this point. Oil is just a bad scenario all the way around.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 02-21-2008, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its federal road use tax and you get it back like a rebate with your fed taxes gas for mowers etc off road use. I believe its around 18 cents a gallon but you have to have your receipts

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
RU sure stations only make a penny a gallon? All you hear is the gas stations complaining about their supply prices going up, but you hear nothing of what kind of under the carpet profits they are making (of course they are not going to tell you that). We have some local price variations around here that make me wonder if certain areas are commingling and pumping up the price a bit.

And the refineries are not getting off tough either...they sure as heck are making a tidy sum at this point. Oil is just a bad scenario all the way around.
My dad used to have a station back in the day its been about 7 years now sence he got out of it but he said at that time his mark-up was about 12 cents a gallon and he was fairly competative with other stations around + he was one of the last full service stations(filled her up wiped of the windshield checked the tires and oil for ya)
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So if you turn this in for the rebate can you no longer write it off your taxes?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
So if you turn this in for the rebate can you no longer write it off your taxes?
You write it of as a expense this year. Then as income next year after you get it back. If you need to pay more in that your estimated prepayments, it gets worked out in the math, and you will pay less in. My understanding. But remember I kill weeds and cut grass for a living, not an accountant. PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com