Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivefaster35 View Post
My dad used to have a station back in the day its been about 7 years now sence he got out of it but he said at that time his mark-up was about 12 cents a gallon and he was fairly competative with other stations around + he was one of the last full service stations(filled her up wiped of the windshield checked the tires and oil for ya)
ok full service is higher than self so thats why he had a higher margin, im sure it varies around here you can spit and hit a station
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lost about all this tax stuff.

When I file taxes I turn in my mileage and receipts for gas for equipment. Are yall saying now we should keep the receipts for the fuel we use in the trucks and turn them in as well?

Meaning we would get so much per gallon on the mileage and so much for this fuel tax thing? Also did this just start this year?
Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunjason View Post
I'm lost about all this tax stuff.

When I file taxes I turn in my mileage and receipts for gas for equipment. Are yall saying now we should keep the receipts for the fuel we use in the trucks and turn them in as well?

Meaning we would get so much per gallon on the mileage and so much for this fuel tax thing? Also did this just start this year?
Jason, when you buy fuel it has a percent per gallon that is road use tax. Its the tax that the feds and states use to repair and build our highways. If you put the fuel in a tractor, mower, sprayer or other business use that is "off road" than you need not pay the "road tax" for that gallon of fuel. You can file if you keep separate fuel receipts for your trucks and equipment and get this money back.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Fect View Post
Jason, when you buy fuel it has a percent per gallon that is road use tax. Its the tax that the feds and states use to repair and build our highways. If you put the fuel in a tractor, mower, sprayer or other business use that is "off road" than you need not pay the "road tax" for that gallon of fuel. You can file if you keep separate fuel receipts for your trucks and equipment and get this money back.
Oh. So, is this something new for this year? I just filed and my cpa never said a word about it. So that I get this right I can now have 2 deductions? Equipment fuel (off road tax) and now I can turn in fuel receipts for my truck (road tax) and get that back.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrunjason View Post
Oh. So, is this something new for this year? I just filed and my cpa never said a word about it. So that I get this right I can now have 2 deductions? Equipment fuel (off road tax) and now I can turn in fuel receipts for my truck (road tax) and get that back.
No you dont get two deductions
1)you get a deduction for fuel lets say you pay $3.00 per gallon

2) of that $3.00 per gallon depending on state lets say $.20 cents is onroad tax paid at the pump within the $3.00

3) you fill out your state form as i mentioned to get that $.20 cents back because you used it off road. You already paid it when you purchased your gas, however you are entitled to get it back because you are using it off road.

4) so last year lets say you had 1000 gallons off road use at .20 back $200.00 but is now considered income so you are taxed on the $200.00 but you still are ahead of the game.

5) You need to track so if you didnt last year do it this year
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 02-23-2008, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

In Nebraska you can go back up to three years. But the rebate table changes every six months, so you have t fill out the form seperately. It is well worth the time, I just received a check for a bit under $5k.

Keep those receipts and seperate fuel for truck vs. mowers and other equipment.