Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-09-2001, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Bid Question.....Yeah I know!!!

I know there are many threads about bids, so I won't dwell on the subject. I was just wonder if anyone would be willing to send me a copy of a bid they have done. I have the opportunity bid on an apartment complex, and the grounds for a local volunteer FD. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl:blush:
Old 11-09-2001, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TURF CARE
The best thing that you can do is to measure the property to calculate your services. You should take measurements for mowing, trimming, edging, mulch, fert. & pesticide apps, etc.
Try calculating mowing using these figures:
- use 44,000 as an acre
- multiply your square footage by your pricing structure (ie. $3.50/m sf)
- multiply this number by a degree of difficulty from 1.5(easy) to 3(difficult)

Try calculating edging using these figures:
gas or stick edgerís - multiply (x) 50 cents per 100 linear feet (lf)
line trimmers (turf-curb areas etc.) - multiply (x) 75 cents per 100 (lf)
line trimmers (along chain link fencing) - multiply (x) $1 per 100 (lf)

Most companyís when you place your estimates like to see that you are a conscientious contractor that wants to give their property a manicured look. I always estimate the amount of time I think we will spend picking up debris prior to/while mowing and calculate trash removal times as part of the mowing price.

ORNAMENTAL BED MGMT.
Measure the total linear footage of ornamental beds to calculate your edging times. Then you should measure the sq footage of these beds so you can put together your pricing for mulch. If they have existing mulch you can submit a price for topdressing or even just re-fluffing what is there if it was applied to heavy. If you were going to be putting down a fresh coat I would submit a price for a 2Ē layer. The only times many apply 3Ē is at the time of the installation of plants when the beds were first put in.

As far as shearing is concerned not knowing your skill level you can guesstimate your estimated times by figuring 5 minutes per small (under 2') shrubs, 10-15 minutes for medium (3'-5') shrubs, and up 45 minutes for large (6' above) shrubs and hedges. These times include the cleanup as well.

You will also want to look at the overall condition of their beds and put together a weed control package whether itís hand weeding, chemical control, or both.

RENOVATION SERVICES
These services (aeration, lime, power raking, over-seeding, etc.) will also be based on the overall square footage of the area being treated. If you do a search you will be able to get the jist of how many bid these services out.

SNOW/ICE CONTROL
I donít know the rates for snow/ice control in your area but you will want to factor in your estimate for plowing, site clearing (hauling the piles away) - sanding/salting vehicular and pedestrian pavements, hand labor for snow blowers, shoveling, dispersing ice melts etc. - figure whether your pricing structure will be contingent upon per push, per fall, and/or both.

Hope this helps.
Kris
Old 11-09-2001, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Member

THANKS KRIS!!!!

I think it will help.