Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Some of my customers are initially paranoid about weeds; and "think" they need extra crabgrass prevention than usual...

And...in certain cases...where people tend to gouge the living daylights out of their sidewalk edges regularly...a "double-shot" in specific locations, done IPM style, is certainly warranted.

But actually their problem is often that their turf is not dominant enough to successfully compete with whatever creepy-crawly weed might come along, be it crab, foxtail, chickweed, spurge, purslane, or whatever.

The best weed control doesn't come from a bag or bottle.
It comes in the form of sheer competition.
Your customer has to learn this, too!

So your job is not just doing the applications, but teaching the customer how to work with you...how to mow properly...how to water properly...and to buy into the right program you offer that might include such extremes such as TOTAL turf renovation in some areas, if it's necessary to get the weeds in check in the long run.

With me...It's typical that I'll 'guarantee' the work by the customer buying a full program, with fall aeration, and a nice compost topdressing once every other year or so...depending upon the soil makeup.

(Some people I've found really get in to it... and want to learn about diseases, etc.
And I've actually LOST some business this way to people who decided to 'do it themselves' after I taught them "how"...
But to compensate for them, I know I've picked up more long-lasting referrals. So I feel it's definitely worth it!)

WOW!

This is now officially my favorite post now!

100% accurate and this is exactly what I think also!

Nice Post!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
The "split application" refers to a product that has basically half the needed pre-em. in it for the year (talking granular with fertilizer products) ie. using Dimension .1% ai. and applying it twice, or using Dimension .21% ai. and applying it once. The amount of Nitrogen per K should remain the same. Of course both products will list a wide range of application rates based on your region and turf mowing heights.

Try to select a product that will allow you to not over apply the N. to acheive the necessary % of ai. to be applied. (don't try to use .1% dim to cover a lawn in a single app, or you will end up putting down nearly 2 lbs. per K of nitrogen.)
Okay I understand, thanks for the explanation. I have .10 AI dimension so I guess my rep that quoted this stuff to me intended for me to use it for the first 2 applications.

Great info in this thread!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BUMP:
READ IT, LEARN IT, LIVE IT;
I agree with rcreech great post, should be read by everyone on this site. Too add to Marcos' reasoning before we blame issues on product performance and place blame on our vendors, we all need to review this post. A quality product applied by a trained technician on a crappy thin lawn will probably result in "crappy poor performance"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Some of my customers are initially paranoid about weeds; and "think" they need extra crabgrass prevention than usual...

And...in certain cases...where people tend to gouge the living daylights out of their sidewalk edges regularly...a "double-shot" in specific locations, done IPM style, is certainly warranted.

But actually their problem is often that their turf is not dominant enough to successfully compete with whatever creepy-crawly weed might come along, be it crab, foxtail, chickweed, spurge, purslane, or whatever.

The best weed control doesn't come from a bag or bottle.
It comes in the form of sheer competition.
Your customer has to learn this, too!

So your job is not just doing the applications, but teaching the customer how to work with you...how to mow properly...how to water properly...and to buy into the right program you offer that might include such extremes such as TOTAL turf renovation in some areas, if it's necessary to get the weeds in check in the long run.

With me...It's typical that I'll 'guarantee' the work by the customer buying a full program, with fall aeration, and a nice compost topdressing once every other year or so...depending upon the soil makeup.

(Some people I've found really get in to it... and want to learn about diseases, etc.
And I've actually LOST some business this way to people who decided to 'do it themselves' after I taught them "how"...
But to compensate for them, I know I've picked up more long-lasting referrals. So I feel it's definitely worth it!)

The Arena, the Field of Battle, the site where the fight actually takes place is our own heart and all of our Inner Man. The time of Battle is our whole life.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mscotrid View Post
BUMP:
READ IT, LEARN IT, LIVE IT;
I agree with rcreech great post, should be read by everyone on this site. Too add to Marcos' reasoning before we blame issues on product performance and place blame on our vendors, we all need to review this post. A quality product applied by a trained technician on a crappy thin lawn will probably result in "crappy poor performance"

AMEN Brother!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, what do reccomend charging to apply a herbicide for a property about 1/4 to a 1/2 an acre and how would I apply the herbicde and what particular herbicide do you reccomend I use for the Henbit.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, what do reccomend charging to apply a herbicide for a property about 1/4 to a 1/2 an acre and how would I apply the herbicde and what particular herbicide do you reccomend I use for the Henbit. Also, when mowing Henbit is okay to mulch or will this spread seeds and it would be necessary to bag.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

earthscapes40; I know you are new here, but if you want a better responce to YOUR question you really need to start a new thread in this forum.