Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2001, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I am a landscape virgin

hey guys, sorry to bother you all again. But you all seem like the smartest / most knoweledgable people I can find on the net. Anyway, I am having my very first house built right now and I am to move in next Wed. I am really excited about having a GREAT looking lawn. But I have a few questions

They soded with Bermuda and have been watering it pretty nicely the last few days.... should I use anything else on it since its only sod and so late in season? ( i live in Texas) Also, maybe come spring time, what is best to use then????

Tree, they planted me a little stick! anything I should give it? If I decide to plant another tree...when is good time?

Also, I would like to do a nice brick flower bed in the front yard and some nice landscaping in the back yard... just wondering if anyone knows of a good website that has lots of pics????

Again, I am really sorry to be a little off topic, this really isnt about commercial....but i know if anyone can help, it would be you guys... thanks
Old 11-09-2001, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Scott,

Don't apologize for posting your questions in the Homeowner
Assistance forum....that's exactly what this forum is for. BUT
....I see you haven't received any replies, so I suggest that you post in the Landscape forum. I'll bet you that one of those nice
guys will help you out.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Member

If you want to take care of your yard yourself you need to educate yourself on how to do it. I had no idea how complicated that landscaping could be until I had a job working at Softball Country Club down here in Atlanta, Ga.
There is a huge amount of information on how to maintain trees shrubs and grass. You dont have to learn it all. Just learn about what you have in your yard or whatever interests you.
I am not a landscaper myself. But I enjoy having and maintaining my own lawn and trees. The information I have learned on this site has helped me considerably. I have done a lot of reading on my own, but advise from those who actually do the work can be the most helpful.
From what I know, I think all you can do to fresh sod is water it. Anything you put down now could hurt the roots. I think it is also very late to put down sod even in the south. You might lose a lot of your sod if you have a cold winter this year. I am sure someone on this site will be able to tell you more about your situation.
While your yard is still fresh and soft, now would be a good time to plant trees where they would eventually shade the house in the warm months and save some money on electricity bills when it gets hot.
Old 11-12-2001, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I would use a good dose of 17-17-17 fertilizer. In your area I can only find 15-15-15 but there is a huge difference. Try calling feed stores in Mansfield. I get mine in Cleburne at Johnson County Feed. Put it down now and again in early spring. Also remember that bermuda and heavy shade do not mix. The bermuda will go away and all you will have is bald spots under the trees. If hte bermuda dies you may can get the builder to resod in the spring since it is not going to get much of a chance to take this late in the year. I would ask him to resod with St. Augustine, especially if you are going to plant trees. Just my .02
Old 02-07-2002, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm no expert, but after four years of Texas summers, I have watched the Bermuda in my yard slowly recede in areas where the Bradford pear trees got taller and their shade covered more area.

St. Augustine will crowd out Bermuda, so be careful with that mix. I am trying to find something that I can replace with Bermuda that will grow fine in shade...perhaps a hybrid?

I had landscaping done professionally a year after we built our house, and the hardest thing to learn, is what grows best and where. Most "contractor-grade" landscaping involves the use of low cost plants that give good curb appeal. The pro that re-did our front yard landscape found that nearly 60% of what currently existed was planted in the wrong area of the house.

Good landscapers know what's easiest to care for, resists pests, and when they bloom. The best gardens have some color all year long, so the plant mix is done in that fashion.

My wife loves to change stuff in the front every year, so we do annuals that can take the constant heat on the west side of the house. The back yard is almost maintenance free, and everything there is perrenials. Sometimes I plant a thing or two, but not often.

Consider that if you are getting an irrigation system with your new home, that landscaping project will require modifications to the system. It cost us $1000 to revamp our irrigation system in the backyard to accommodate the additional landscaping needs!