Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2008, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Lesco spreader and back pain.

Anyone else sometimes get back pain from using a Lesco 80# spreader??

The way it's made, where the handles are, you have to bend your back just a little bit and man sometimes it get unbearable.

Can anyone relate and are there other spreaders that are better for your back out there???
Old 02-23-2008, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Before I got my Magnum, every spring when I was out of shape it happened. But by June I could spread 12 acres in a day with no back problems. I was tired though.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thats why i got a z-spray
Old 02-23-2008, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Lesco spreaders have adjustable handles. If your's is a newer model (2003+) check the lower bolts on the handle's frame where they meet up with the hopper frame. There's two locations for those lower bolts. If you take each bolt out and let the handle pivot on the upper bolts, you'll be able to find both sets of holes. On the side with the shield, you'll need to install the bolt backwards so that the threads are protruding outward. This will allow enough clearance for the shield to operate without any interference.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How tall are you? Extending the handles helped me.( 6' 3")
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 02-23-2008, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

spread

I think it is normal to have some soreness across the upper back and shoulders after the first few hard days.

However...I like the handlebars a little wider apart--shoulder width. So I added 8 inch extensions and cushiony hand grips.

Also, Earthway spreaders and some walk behinds have the handles tilted downward at a 45 degree angle--for a more natural and comfortable hand position.

If you are carrying a few extra pounds or have devised a padded "push pillow" you can push with your stomach and take some of the pressure off your shoulders.

Also consider balance. All day, there is about 10 pounds of needless weight on the handlebars just to raise the handlebars to operating position. Think of a way to eliminate this extra unbalanced weight--let the wheels carry the weight. Good luck. Let us know what you come up with. Or anybody with suggestions.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post

If you are carrying a few extra pounds or have devised a padded "push pillow" you can push with your stomach and take some of the pressure off your shoulders.

LOL!!!

I thought I was the only one that knew about that one!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started my lower back would kill me most of the time and I thought it was handle height. It turned out to be from lifting that sucker into the bed of my truck all day; lifting and twisting. I bought a caddy from Lesco and it made a big difference. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Lawns View Post
Anyone else sometimes get back pain from using a Lesco 80# spreader??

The way it's made, where the handles are, you have to bend your back just a little bit and man sometimes it get unbearable.

Can anyone relate and are there other spreaders that are better for your back out there???
What kind of shoes do you wear? Tennis shoes will prevent you from using you legs to push. I've always worn work boots with laces--something with arch supports. I only put in a 50lb bag at a time. You could load it lighter for the first week or so until you get back into the routine.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah! The lifting! Spreader weighs 35 pounds -risky to lift if you have more than a few pounds in the hopper. Don't put in more fert than you need. Put a few pounds back in the bag--but try to do that without lifting it. (Anybody know how ?)

Also...attach a strong handle to the left side of the frame, just underneath the hopper. Use screw clamps, stainless steel bolts, nylon cord or whatever. Now...back straight, using the handle, lift with you left hand from underneath using your bicep muscles. Use your right hand at any convenient spot up the long handle, just so the weight is more or less equally divided. Allow the wheel to contact the thigh for leverage as needed.