Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

off-road diesel/heating oil difference

well we finally broke down and bought a big fuel tank for the farm and now its time to fill it. Before we had been loading up the truck with a whole mess of 5 gallon cans and filling that way but with my new tractor we need more fuel...

my question is whats the difference between heating oil and off-road diesel. I don't want to hear what anyone "thinks"...i need facts, because if i am putting this in my tractor i don't want to chance my injectors, fuel pump, and motor on what someone "thinks is the difference"

"off-road diesel" is advertised as $3.20 a gallon here and i can get heating oil for $2.55 is why i ask
Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't use heating oil, EVER!! Chances are it will plug up the filters PDQ, my dad tried that on an old Deere on the farm, and he changed primary and secondary filters every 20 hours.
You'll be coughing up more money for filters, the really big ship engines can burn it, but that's only because they pre-heat it to thin it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thats what i was figuring...i talked to one of our truck drivers that is driving heating oil truck over the winter because he's laid off and he said he didn't think there was any difference...but i'm not going on his opinion...haha
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, Diesel fuel has a lot of additives that the fuel injectors and pump needs to lubricate them, heating oil is basically oil, but if burning straight thin oil was a good idea, EVERYONE would be doing it.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i know on the farm they run heating oil in all the tractors and there have been no problems that i know of so more info on this would be great.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know when the fuel company fills up my parents tank for their home heating oil they pull up to the off road tanks and fill them with the same stuff. I asked the driver if it was the same fuel and he said yes. I told him to fill up the off road tank for the price of the home heating oil and he said he couldn't it was illegal. I don't know why but it was. So in my opinion it shouldn't bother anything. I say go for it. If it was to clog filters on a machine then it would be clogging the filters in the house. My parents furnace has two sets of filters on it and they change them once a year.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's a huge difference between the uber high pressure in Diesel Injection systems and the water gun type spray from a Oil burning furnace, so the Diesel filters will pick up more of the crap out of the Heating Oils.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I've always have been told that #2 heating oil is deisel fuel. I've used it when needed with no problem.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oil is oil

Heating oil is the same as #2 Kerosine, is the same as off road diesel. The only thing you should never do is to put red dyed fuel into an on road vehicle. That's a $10,000 fine, everywhere. Other than that, it is common sense to use diesel fuel anti-gel products in anything you want to start in low temps. I use a product named Diesel 911 to keep fuel from gelling in all of the diesel motors I use. You can even melt ice out of an already gelled filter with this stuff! I have been running equipment on repossessed heating oil for years, with no ill effects, as long as I mix in the 911 with it!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Dirtdigger2,

Call a realible "Fuel jobber" and ask just that question.....Sometimes the only difference can be the State taxes....Depending on where you live can change how fuel is blended,so asking a local dealer should answer all your questions.....PLUS if you buy in quanity they could give volume discounts helping you avoid the "911" need .........Good fuel,good service adds to everyone being happy..

Snoope