Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2001, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Addict

Salary would work if you also included personal responsiblity. I am not telling you are wrong or right, but if he is held accountable for lost equipment, then he would take better care of equipment and instill physical security. When the cash drawer came up short at the gas station, we had a weaker check the next week.
Old 11-10-2001, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

It's always hard to say what you'd do until it happens to you, but
I think I'd charge the crew chief 50% and the other two 25% and
stick to my guns.
Old 11-10-2001, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

GET INSURANCE

It seems like you are in a high-theft area, or maybe you are just unlucky. Either way you should insure your stuff.

Even if you have a written agreement that your workers must pay for missing stuff, how would you collect a large chunk of change if something expensive went missing?

And how would you get back into business quickly without insurance?

Insurance may be expensive but in your case it seems like even high premiums would be a bargain.

Ken
Old 11-11-2001, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Warn them that if it happens again that they are responsible. That you are tired of paying for lost or stolen eThere is no reason for getting things stolen when you have so many guys on the crew. Lock things down and make sure everyone has a key that way if something gets stolen next time its gets divided up evenly into everyones pay unless someone knows whats up. Thats just too many in 0ne year. Unless they work far from the trailer there is no reason for it in my eyes. I worked in oakland county MI and nothing ever was missing for 2.5 years of lawn care. I always kept a watch on everything and parked in high visiblily. Detroit is not good for that kind of stuff. I know an old couple that lost their whole truck and trailer and equipment inside with no insurance. Its a shame that it happens.

Bedros
Old 11-11-2001, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, but something tells me that ig you finf that blower, you'll find the rest of your equipment, too.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-11-2001, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jason and others,

A few tips to help somewhat.

1. Set up an equip. maintenance page w/ each piece purchased and record purchase date, price, model # and serial number.

2. Engrave company name and equipmet id number (add id# to step 1 above)

3. Make sure you hve an equpmet floater on your insrance policy w/ a low deductible. (you should only want to hve asmall amoun minly fo smaller items such as blowers,trimmers, power pruners, stick edgers, hedge hears, chain saws,etc... basically anythg which can quickly be lifted and concealed)!

4. Instruct entire staff, especially crew chiefs and foreman to try t stay in eyesight ofequipment, or if theyare in back yards for extended periods of time to take equipoment back with them.

5. Finally, ad hope it doesn'tcome to this, if somethingdoes get stolen, file police report and give al info especially stuff contained in #1 above!!!

Yes, I too had 2 pairs of backpack blowers stolen. Fall in late 90's and fall last year-- hd escriptio ofcarand 2 suspects, but no tag #.

Hop this helps.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

fire this whole crew.

send them down the road kicking cans and you will be money ahead next year. think about it.

aint no way you are gonna recoup your cost. and if you try to make them pay for their indifference with the company equipment, they are gonna resent you.

clean break is the only answer!

GEO
Old 11-12-2001, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CALL THE COPS

I hate a thief!

Call the cops and file a report. In most states the theft of that machine constitutes a felony.

Sounds like you have probably lost a couple thousand dollars worth of equipment. I think you should inform the Investigator of the "pattern" your crew chief has established by being involved in all the incidents of theft and let them do an investigation. Hard to say what may turn up... They may, or may not, find things you didn't even know where missing.

Good Luck!
Mark
Old 11-12-2001, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boy thats a tough call-
I'd give the crew leader some incentive- he has 1 week to find it or come up with 1/2 of the cost of a new one, since he was in charge of keeping an eye on things. And esp. since this is lost item #5 or 6!!!!!!!!!
Put your foot down this time. Unless you enjoy doling out $$$.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, Jason I'll hold the crew captain liable for that.

It would be real surprising if you could get a search warrant!!!........................