Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2008, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rr Ties Deadman

I HAVE READ THE TERM DEADMAN
in a rr ties retaingwall. would the d-man be set perpendicula to the wall. meaning a wall with three deadmen would be shaped like A E
Old 02-24-2008, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are lots of different approaches. That is one of them. The important thing is to understand what they are supposed to do for you. That is to add mass to your wall.

This type of wall works kind of like a damn. It has to be heavy enough to resist the force of the retained material. Obviously, ties don't weigh much, so the idea is that you make some of the soil behind the wall belong to the wall to make it heavier.

Many people think that you are trying to anchor the face of the wall to the earth behind it. If you think about that, it does not make sense. You are building the wall because that soil will not stay up on its own. So, attaching to something that is not stable would not make a lot of sense, would it?

Putting straight deadmen back into the slope does help tie that soil to the face of the wall, but there are stronger ways of doing that when necessary. If there is going to be a lot of pressure on the wall, you might want to put a tie connecting the tips of your "E". Then the slope would be essentially pushing against a box full of soil. Some guys put short "T"s on the end of those deadmen.

Also, remember that you can use geogrid on a tie wall, just like you would with modular block.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your locality may have something like this: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/p...ll/details.pdf

We base our walls on these details; just bear in mind that you may have different requirements due to local soil conditions and other factors.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

once again excellent sensible advice and i thank you both.
i am expecting a call soon from a guy who wants to replace his roughly 4' by in his words long wall that has rotted. he said he had priced it with blocks and said that was out of the question. i have not seen it so i just start imagining things and i thought if he like the look or shall i say beuaty of the blocks then maybe i can upsell to a stepped terrace. remeber i am way ahead of my self but that in my opion is better than being behind.

my thought process of my comprehesion is
  1. assess the wall and see if there was something not working like no weep holes, drainage, base or pest
  2. excavate the wall and establish crusher base @ 24" allowing a plate compactor to be used
  3. establish closed end E ergo to squares as dead men
  4. drain pipe parralel to the face of th E frame
  5. pack and geo-grid every 3 ties
  6. at this point using this work pattern whether stepping or straight up
  7. if wall is vertical then angle my batter? at say 5 degrees
  8. how do i connect ties i read on here spikes ,so that means sledge hammer'm together?
  9. how much can i geuess at this point a tie will cost me
  10. also use levels ! levels ! stringlines ! and levels!

again i am way ahead of myself but i have rented a booth and am getting about 7-12 inquries during the two days we are open. ppl have found my half a$$ raised beds impressive. again to those with helpful responces i thank you
and to those with helpful responces but poor manners and vocabulary i thank you to my skins like a tortise now
Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

update with pics

well i have been getting good at pre-qulifying customers
i never thought about those vertical supports out front.
  1. bury the first course?
  2. how long to demo and excavate with skid steer
  3. with the size of the load. would it be nessesary to dead man with those vertical post in the front?
there was no gravel backfill no gravel base but there was a fabric against tha back. the home owner did this himself tweenty years ago

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what's below the wall? More of the client's property, or is the wall the property line? Is that area with no grass the shoulder of the road or something?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

below the wall is more owner property. in the last photo you are looking at the rear right corner of the house. if i use the vertical post do i still need to dead man
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know, I'm not an engineer; my concern with a wall like that pictured is, how deep do those verticals need to go? How are they anchored? After all, those are what are resisting the forces trying to push that wall over.

The reason I asked what was beneath the wall- must a wall be replaced with a wall? You said the budget is an issue- could you install the wall where it's actually needed, behind the pine, but then bring in soil and roll the grade where the existing wall is only 18-24" high? I think if you did that it would save some money (he could maybe do a SRW because it'd be way less sf of face) and the outcome would look WAY better- the house would be part of the surrounding, not perched up on top of a texas sheet cake. Just an alternative.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

couple more pics

this is a two house cul-de-sac. to even view the face of the wall you are in the light tree cover. this is not seen except for the very knowsy person trying to go hide and takw a whizz or a puff lol
i did not understand papercutter saying the support was needed around the pine i thought mainly at the upper 30' of wall that was right off the house with the 1-3 course height

from the roof of my jeep

notice the location of my jeep in the upper right

Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, I'm lost. In the original set of photos you posted, third one down, is that a pine at the high corner? I see the pine branches, but maybe they're from a different tree than what I'm seeing in the corner.

Have you shot grades out there yet? What was the original reason for the wall? Where it's barely coming out of grade, was there an issue with erosion into the woods?