Register free!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Ideas for my house

Just looking for some ideas to improve the landscaping in the front of my home. It's cold up here in the Michigan this time of year, can't wait until spring to get busy again. Particularly interested in what you guys would do in the space between the sidewalk and porch. Only about 18" wide.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Install some pencil hollies or some dwarf korean yupon hollies along your front sidewalk. Maybe think about moving that Jap maple at the far fight to something a little bit more robust... like birch, Crape myrtle, or even a big Foster Holly. Disguising corners is always a good thing to do while updating or installing a landscape.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with a Blue Spruce on the corner. That way you will have something to take the edge off year round. I can't tell if that is an Alberta Spruce or a Juniper next to the porch, but I would make it go away. That space between the sidewalk and the porch is tough. I would go with something simple like liriope (monkey grass). Another option is annuals. Whatever you do don't use something that grows higher than the porch.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ozark View Post
Go with a Blue Spruce on the corner. That way you will have something to take the edge off year round. I can't tell if that is an Alberta Spruce or a Juniper next to the porch, but I would make it go away. That space between the sidewalk and the porch is tough. I would go with something simple like liriope (monkey grass). Another option is annuals. Whatever you do don't use something that grows higher than the porch.
A Blue Spruce would be good in that corner. I think, though, that adding something with a little bit of height would go well in the sidewalk bed. It would give them some privacy and act as a natural barrier. Pencil hollies are easy to take care and prune... plus, they grow well in poor soil.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

To each his own, I guess. If you want more privacy you could also put a rail across the porch.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He is in Michigan, not exactly Crepe Myrtle or Yaupon Holly territory.

Short of making a new walkway, I'd suggest things that will take the abuse of the snow load that might come off of that roof. Non-woody things like ornamental grasses and herbacious perennials good give you a good look in season and not get busted up in the winter.

You might want to think about removing the walkway and putting in a new paver or stone walkway allowing for a bigger bed for planting.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you could always do something simple in between the walkway and porch like a mulchbed and day lillies, or do a small hedge with some boxwoods
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
He is in Michigan, not exactly Crepe Myrtle or Yaupon Holly territory.

Short of making a new walkway, I'd suggest things that will take the abuse of the snow load that might come off of that roof. Non-woody things like ornamental grasses and herbacious perennials good give you a good look in season and not get busted up in the winter.

You might want to think about removing the walkway and putting in a new paver or stone walkway allowing for a bigger bed for planting.
I like this idea. Or between the porch and walkway plant some annuals in there... But that is something you would have to do year after year.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys a Sky pencil Grows 6 to 8 feet tall and 2 to 3 feet wide. Probally to big for this location as a hedge. I would suggest the soft touch holly. It grows 2/3 tall and wide. Cold hardy to zone 5. Good luck that jap. maple would be hard to move at that size but if ntersted it should be moved to middle.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about a gutter?