Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2001, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looking for a fountain

I'm looking for a source to buy water features ie: fountains at less than retail. Any of you folks have an idea where I can find such products? I would be interested in other landscape decorative features as well, ie: benches, arbors, etc.
Thanks, Bill!
Old 11-10-2001, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't do anything in fountains, but I know the Midam trade show in Chicago, by me, has many vendors that offer this. I'd bet you could find a few sources at trade shows in your neck of the woods.

As for arbors, I was neve really impressed with the durability of the pre-fab or ready-to-assemble structures available to me here, so we started to just build our own. I'm sure you could do the same. Benches, too. This off season I'm going to build a few stone benches, then work them into some designs next year. Otherwise, I think Haddonstone would have some benches you'd like. Haddonstone has all kinds of cool stuff. www.haddonstone.com
Old 11-10-2001, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Stonehenge,
The Association that I'm a part of here in N.C. has a display at an event called the Southern Spring Show. I'm hoping to help set up the design this year for experience. Maybe I can make some contacts there. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Bill Craig!
Old 11-10-2001, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you checked http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/index.html ? They do a lot of pond work; think they had fountains in the past.
Old 11-10-2001, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was rereading the thread - did I misunderstand? Were you looking for info ponds and waterfalls and such? If so, Aquascapes, Pond Supplies of America and a couple others offer very similar, very easy to use systems. Little Giant started offering a very similar system.

And if you want very small water features, it can be accomplished with some very small pumps and a rudimentary filtration system.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Stonehenge

You've got me thinking (you have a bad habit of doing that!!) I was always intrested in constructing parts of a full landscape. I've built a few bridges, a small gazeabo and a few arches, but I've mostly used wood.

What kind of stone bench do you plan on making? I'd like to see a picture when you do.

Also, I should probobly start a new thread on this, but we'll see. I would love to see any pictures or plans for outdoor decorations any of you have built.

Lets see where this one goes!
Old 11-10-2001, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my idea for a stone bench from a competitor - they showed me a little dry-laid bench they made from what looked like scrap limestone. Looked cute, but I could've knocked it to the ground with one kick.

So I either am going to improve on that design by using larger stone and supporting the legs with rebar spines, but I think I first want to try 2 fieldstone boulders of an egg shape, with a limestone seat. Rebar from the seat into the boulders to keep steady.

I figure I'll be in for a little custom saw work to provide a flat surface for the limestone to sit on.
Old 11-10-2001, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another trade show with vendors of many garden accessories is MANTS in Baltimore in early January. Huge nursery trade show that I attend every year.
Old 11-12-2001, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lanelle,
Thanks for the info on the show in Baltimore. I enjoy the inner harbor, and I'm usually all depressed in january (lack of sunshine). Maybe I'll take a trip for motivational purposes. Hope to meet you there.
Bill!
Old 11-16-2001, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill,
We have two places here in Rockingham just down the road from you.
The first one is Coble Carolina Studio, he is on 74 just this side of the pee dee river. He made the lions at Elvis's estate. his number is 910-895-6983.
The other is Metropol's on hwy 220. His # is 910-895-9991. Another guy here used one of his fountains at a new hotel here. Looks great.

Most everything they have is made on site. They can do any specialty work you need.

Give them a try.