Register free!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you could buy 2 barely used dingos, 2 concrete buggies and still have a decent amount of money left over to pay 2 guys to run them! plus you could use the dingos on other jobs as well...
Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Now if it came with a power shifter option, then maybe I would buy one! ROTFLMFAO!!

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Member

lol JT1304. $50k does buy a lot of labor.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i will admit that it is a great concept, even with the ones on trucks they just started doing but, 50G's the only your not doing is shoveling it out of the truck your still laying it down and your still raking it out and your still carrying it to most of your beds, so in a sense you spent all that money that you could have spent on another truck with a big mulch bed and then still had the money to buy a couple more wheel barrows and some rakes haha
Old 03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Well let's see, 50,000 pays for 10 / hour plus tax and social security let's make it a total of $15 pmh... 50g / 15 =3,335 man hours.
Assuming experienced hard working help (yes I know but play with me) we'd get 2 cubic yards spread per hour, per helper...
That's 6,500 cubic yards spread for that kind of money.

Probably more if we have to figure all the extra gas and what have you.

So that puts things in perspective.
I might can see it if you have a LOT of mulch to do.
At least 3-4 thousand cubic yards a season.
That machine would have to dump 20 cubic yards a day for 4-6 months solid, or some equivalent figure.
Then probably yes, but that's also 30-40 times what I get in a season.
Obviously not a machine for solo ops.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

The name might be confusing. It's by no means just for mulch. With that said I think ya'll might not be looking at the product incorrectly. When spring and summer are around you use it for hauling and quickly offloading and correctly placing mulch, dirt, and landscaping rocks. No double or triple handling when the product is dropped directly into your wheelbarrow. When Fall is around, you use it for debris removal and quick offloading. When winter is around they are working on creating a salt spreader out the back for the automatic off-load. Now you are using the product 3 to 4 seasons a year depending if you do any snow work.

Your competition that doesn't have this set up is spending much more time paying for man hours and getting jobs done slower while you get jobs done faster. This can be especially important for trying to get jobs done when you're under a time crunch. No, it's not for everyone but for those who can see the forest through the trees and are large enough to make the product pay for itself it's a serious time-saver. I've personally spoken with even medium size commercial users who talk about how much money they've taken to their bottom line in Spring, Summer and Fall with the addition of this product.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a lot of money for a small return, unless you plan on selling and installing nothing but mulch jobs. You would pretty much have to concentrate on nothing but mulch.

DJ-
2007 EverRide Warrior 54" Deck w/25 HP Kawasaki
2007 Toro 36" Turbo Force, T-Bar/15 HP Kawasaki
2005 Toro Proline 48" Float Deck w/15 HP Kawasaki
Few Echo and Sthil Handhelds and Backpack Blowers

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well"
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

... Sometimes I feel like I'm beating my head against a rock. The Mulch Mule is not just for mulch. See my earlier post for a deeper explanation.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Well ok Mr. Force. We don't want you to beat your head against a rock, so to quote off of your "earlier post" you said "no double or triple handling when loading into a wheelbarrow" I don't understand triple handling. How is it triple handling if you put your wheelbarrow at the back of your dumptruck and reach up with a pitchfork and pull it down into the wheelbarrow, opposed to parking your wheelbarrow underneath a conveyor belt and pushing a button to load it. It's the same amount of handling. Maybe a little less effort. Then you speak of using it in the fall for debris removal and quick offloading. Um, wouldn't it just be quicker for me to push the up button on my dumptruck for "quick offloading?" Then, you say they are "creating" not "completed" a system for spreading salt. Yeah, as a snoplow contractor, I can tell you, I don't think that anybody that has been in the business of salting like I have, is going to want to get rid of their sanders that sit in their trucks to invest in a trailer to pull around in a snow storm to salt any lots. Let alone a $50000 sander!

So, where do you get 4 seasons out of this piece of ummm....equipment?

Let's just call it what it is. A conveyor system built into a trailer to help fill wheelbarrows. In my opinion, not worth 50 grand. I would have to spread 5000 yards of mulch before this thing is paid for with the profit from the mulching jobs. That could take 10 years before you even start to make anything for the average outfit! Just in time for this thing to be at the end of its life expectency. If it even lasts that long. Not to mention, if a part breaks on this, which is more than likely, you just added more time to pay for the part.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well said EgansCountryGardens well said