Register free!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Have you guys thought about a conveyer truck instead of a dump truck. That way you have a hauling truck and a loader all in one. You pull the blower behind it and feed from the tk to the blower. Chandler equipment in gainsville ga makes them. Mike is the contact person in sales. It will clog some and you have to get in the back and unclog it.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I have never used a blower for mulch. How well does it work? Weight of hose? Clogging? Distance restrictions? Costs? Which is best?
Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blower trucks are great if you can keep them busy on large jobs every day. My experience is with Peterson Express Blower. Clogging is not a problem when blowing compost or shredded hardwood mulch. I think 300 ft of hose is the limit. A good operator on the hose is much more efficient than a bunch of guys with wheelbarrows and rakes spreading mulch. At $250,000+for a 30 cubic yard truck you better have that thing running all day, every day.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I am trying to imagine three hundred ft of hose. That would have to be heavy. A hundred foot of black corrigated drain pipe is heavy. Now fill it with mulch and pull it around from bed to bed.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The hose is empty when you move it in to place. It is a 2 person job to maneuver hose and apply mulch. I would guess 100 ft of 4" corrugated drain pipe weighs about 20lbs.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

don't buy a mulch mule...the company that owns the right is a huge landscaping company around here and the owner is a total ******bag. He never worked for **** was born into money, married money, and tries to steal EVERYONES work. His mule sucks, and im surprised he bought the rights since he houses mexicans on his property, thought he had enough "mulch mules"
Old 10-24-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
don't buy a mulch mule...the company that owns the right is a huge landscaping company around here and the owner is a total ******bag. He never worked for **** was born into money, married money, and tries to steal EVERYONES work. His mule sucks, and im surprised he bought the rights since he houses mexicans on his property, thought he had enough "mulch mules"
WOW this guy must be eating your lunch - LOL
Old 11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had one and loved it. We could put down 10 yards of mulch in less than 15 minutes. No mess nothing blown into cars etc. There is no doubt it is very expensive but if you have quite a bit of mulch to do your options are blower or mule. It also doubles as a leaf vac so I would say it's a good fit for someone in the 100-150 residential maint customer range.

For 10 yards of mulch I charge 900.00 installed. We went through 8 semi's of mulch this year @ 60yds / semi. At a rate of 90.00 / yd that's 43,200 in revenue from mulch alone. Add leaf cleanups and you could pull down easy 50-60k in gross off that machine in one year.

I can't speak on the guy who owns the company being a hoser. I have been invited to check out their shop and their setup. Never have time.

Finn has their MTS which seems like a little better of a design.

Regardless its a 50k investment. 1000.00 payment. You got to keep it busy and it can make you a killing.

If you are slinging mulch from the back of a pickup 4-5 times a year it obviously won't pay for itself. It must work from March 15th until Nov 15th.

Mexicans: They are some of the hardest working guys I have ever had. No stories about their gf's leaving them and not coming into work.. no pill addictions to deal with, didn't tear up my stuff. Got my jobs done on time showed up everyday early and no complaints. I'd house them too. When you go from You and a Buddy landscape Inc to We Employ People Inc. and you have to start counting on these guys to show up and come into work to put food on your table and to maintain your reputation as a company who can get projects done.. You'll change your mind.

Last edited by jlouki01; 11-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.