Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2000, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Got me wondering too. I've been following this fourm for a while now and finding it invaluble to us &quot;wanna-bes&quot;. Like Dingo, I'm considering getting into the biz but I'm looking at purchasing a new grasshopper for around 14k. plus new other equipment. I need everything but the truck (which is new but still making payments). Accordding to my business plan so far I need aprox. 17-18k. I have no experience but have the luxury of time to try to make this work.(no money mind you, just time). Am I nuts?<p>(p.s) My thinking is I need the grasshopper or a tractor for winter work. I live in the Great Lakes region. Thanks to all you guys.
Old 02-12-2000, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

surely he wasnt serious about getting a 24k truck and then using thier mower to cut their grass.
Old 02-12-2000, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey lickity-<br>wow- 14k for a grasshopper! Do you have any steiner dealers nearby? For 14k you could get a nearly new 4wd steiner with a slew of attatchments for landscaping, snow removal, etc. I must be poor compared to the fig.'s alot of guys are throwing around. I bought a GOOD used steiner 220 for $3000 last spring, & i love it. 11 mph top spd. for transport, hi - lo range for hillside gripping, excellent striping, & comfortable ride, too.<br>Best of all, I knew where it came from & how it was treated.<br>To all the newcomers; buy the best you can afford, but don't think you have to buy new to start out with. I've seen alot of guys get burned by later not having enuf business to pay it off, or they got tired of mowing & took a loss when they sold it. If you really want new, look & ask around for demo units. They usually have less than 50 hrs. & are $1000 to 1500 off the list price. There are lots of alternatives if you think creatively.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 02-12-2000, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Got me wondering too. I've been following this fourm for a while now and finding it invaluble to us &quot;wanna-bes&quot;. Like Dingo, I'm considering getting into the biz but I'm looking at purchasing a new grasshopper for around 14k. plus new other equipment. I need everything but the truck (which is new but still making payments). Accordding to my business plan so far I need aprox. 17-18k. I have no experience but have the luxury of time to try to make this work.(no money mind you, just time). Am I nuts?<p>(p.s) My thinking is I need the grasshopper or a tractor for winter work. I live in the Great Lakes region. Thanks to all you guys.
Old 02-12-2000, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Kent Lawns,I know a couple of guys who could probably pull off the &quot;using the homeowners mower&quot;. <p>Dingo, if you must get customers before equipment.. Don't tell them you don't have the equipment! I don't think too many would be willing to give up there existing service to a guy with no mower. Buy a used walkbehind or something for now, you can always use it for a backup later.<p>As for the $14,000 Grasshopper...is that the Gold Plated Limited Edition? I paid $7500 for my Grasshopper a few years back and $7000 for my ZTMax last year. You could buy two good ZTR's for $14,000 or better yet a good ZTR rider, a walkbehind, a bpblower, a couple of trimmers, an edger, some hedge trimmers, a trailer and still have money left for a couple decent meals at the Outback.
Old 02-12-2000, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

grasshopper 725 base price was $10500 and with quick d tatch 52&quot; conv. deck, collctor, 48&quot; snow thrower, cab, chains it came up to $14760. Dealer said he'd give it to me for $13,800. I called him the other day cuz I forgot to tell him I wanted the lift-up deck and he said it would cost another $300.<br>I also looked at a &quot;99&quot; walker 25hp kohler set up for snow with 36 hrs on it and he wanted $1300. for that. Closest walker dealer is over 3 hrs from me though. I've inquired around for used equipment but everyone says it's hard to come by. I know I could get a Kubota 4wd compact tractor for around same price, but thats really larger then what I want. Any suggestions?
Old 02-12-2000, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess with all you are getting it'll cost that much. So they want $10,500 for the tractor and deck?<br>
Old 02-12-2000, 03:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Dingo,<p>Start looking around for a 1987 gear drive (52&quot;deck) Toro in a snow bank behind your local dealers place of business (within 150 miles of home) offer him 400 dollars and take it home scrape it off buy 2 cans of red paint for $3.29 (K-Mart) if you have more time than money wait for the blue light special! Order new decals from your dealer for $19.95 (just kind of throwing him a bone). Now for $426.51 (the math mistake was done on purpose this system doesn't always add-up) you have a mower. New belts and new tires (which a real man puts on by hand) and your set for part B of the plan.<p>If company A. has a ZTR and charges 8.21 per hour and you have your (New) Toro--------<p>Well Dingo you know the the drill - you could have a EMPIRE built by your $451.26 mower which will make you millions of dollars<br>blah blah blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>I think you get the idea!<p>P.S. Don't go to Lord and Taylor for paint! (They don't carry it)<p>
Old 02-12-2000, 06:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Lickity it sounds to me like the Grasshopper dealer has put a big timer sales pitch on you.<p>What you described is two separate businesses. I feel like I run two separate companies - landscape installation and lawn maintenance. Obviously, there are synergies between having the two but first I look at that business independently then I see what I can do to reduce costs and improve the quality between the two.<p>If you must go out and get the Grasshopper don't buy all of the snow attachments now. The snow equipment will only collect dust - and earn you nothing - during mowing season. <p>Be careful spending all of this money with no customers. I am amazed at the amount you are willing to spend on equipment before getting started. Personally, if I had to spend $14,000. I would buy about $5000 in equipment and the rest would go into company infrastructure, training, marketing / advertising, and savings.<p>Good Luck
Old 02-12-2000, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Dingo, thanks for this discussion and getting me involved. I have already considered mountian mans points but feel I have to go a different route. I'll start a new discussion to try and explin myself and let everyone have a shot at me. Thanks.