Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowing setup ideas

Right now I have 4 21"s and one 34" ztr. The ztr is a phazer that doesn't have true commercial pumps and wheel motors. Anyway I want to get a bigger ztr like a 46" exmark lazer hp or scag tigercub 48". I went by my dealer today and tried out a wright stander 32" and loved it. I'm going to demo it when spring gets here. Should I sell the phazer and a 21" and get the wright stander and a bigger ztr. Or should I keep the phazer and just get a bigger ztr? I want to have two 21"s a 32 34" size mower (stander or phazer) and a 48" ztr on my trailer for this year once the work starts picking up. What should I do?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess i need to ask the first question and that is how are you doing with your mowers right now(i mean how big are the lawns u are mowing). I always think about do i really need this, say you have all 1/4 acre lawns, you woudn't want to go out and buy a 72" ztr. Wat i am asking is wat is the biggest lawn you have and how long does it take you?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some of my lawns are less than 1/4 acre and some are more than 1/4 acre. I have been using the ztr on most so far and the results are good. I have some that a 48" ztr would really help on because the 34" ztr takes to long.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would keep the phazer rather than getting a 32 stander. the phazer is a commercial quality mower.

as for the ztr, i would stay with exmark. sell the 21s you like least (according to your post in the pics forum u like the toros best) and put that money towards a 48 ztr. the lazer HP you mentioned is no longer available in a 48 model but is made in a 46. 2 inches shouldnt make that much of a difference. you can get that mower with the 19 or 23 hp kawasaki motor. that mower should work for you unless you have gate issues.

just my 2 cents.
ps: u helped me with my own mower decision in the exmark forum. i will be going with a 34 ztr, either the phazer, gravely 34z, toro z-master 34, or dixie chopper silver eagle.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshprince94 View Post
... keep the phazer rather than getting a 32 stander ... as for the ztr ... sell the 21s you like least ... and put that money towards a 48 ztr ...
I have to agree, there are soem properties where the 34" ZTR will come in handy and some where a larger ZTR will come in handy !! Concerning brands, stay with what you like ... if that's Toro or Exmark, then stay with that !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 02-27-2008, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fresh prince, thanks for the advice. I agree with what you said and do like the lazer hp with 46" deck. I was going to keep the phazer and and the bigger ztr but tried out the stander today and was really impressed with it. I need to demo it though to really see if it's worth it over my phazer. The dealer that carries that wright doesn't sell toro or exmark but sells snapper scag wright hustler redmax and husky. The dealer that sells exmark is a little further away but is a great dealer imo. That's where I got my phazer and service my toros. So I like both dealers and would work with both if I go with the stander. But the dealer that carries the stander is right down the road from me and is very professional so I lean toward going with a stander.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get a 48 or 52 Stander and keep your Phazer 34...
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't see any point much in small sit-n-ride ZTR's.

I'm sure they beat a walkbehind for some reasons on small back yards.
But if compact is what you need, standers/sentars/others are probably the better tool.
More compact in other ways and probably more stable.

In areas where there are no gates to squeeze through, I see no point in anything that is not too large for the job. Some overkill is good.

There is no replacement for the biggest cutting swaths you can use, provided they give a premium cut in your conditions.

I think you should sell some 21's and get a larger rider if you can justify it.
But don't forget to consider trailer space, tow weight, tow vehicle, etc...

You might find it more cost effective in the end to go with a pair of standers or something.
Better to spend money on things that improve your productivity than to spend it on transport items.

Catch my drift?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well a 46" deck is only 12" bigger and with over lap you wont be cuting down on time by a whole lot (other than speed). I own a 36" and a 48" and i wish i had bought the 52" instead. - Just a thought
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service View Post
I really don't see any point much in small sit-n-ride ZTR's.

I'm sure they beat a walkbehind for some reasons on small back yards.
But if compact is what you need, standers/sentars/others are probably the better tool.
More compact in other ways and probably more stable.

In areas where there are no gates to squeeze through, I see no point in anything that is not too large for the job. Some overkill is good.

There is no replacement for the biggest cutting swaths you can use, provided they give a premium cut in your conditions.

I think you should sell some 21's and get a larger rider if you can justify it.
But don't forget to consider trailer space, tow weight, tow vehicle, etc...

You might find it more cost effective in the end to go with a pair of standers or something.
Better to spend money on things that improve your productivity than to spend it on transport items.

Catch my drift?
That's my point with the small ztr, Why have a rider in a small width when the stander will be more productive in tight spaces and is more commercial grade with true pumps and wheel motors. J Bret who lives in my area is selling his 32" stander for $3000 and has 17 hrs on it. Should I get it? and I do need to sell two of the 21"s or at least one probably the commerical snapper being that it is heavy and is outcut by both the other snapper and the toros. I really only need the toro with the honda engine and the residential snapper. But I really want to keep my 2 stroke for backup. I do think a larger rider would help or maybe a larger stander with the 48" rh. That model goes for $7000 here. I can get a exmark lazer hp 19/46 for $6000 on promo where I got my phazer. Both dealers are pretty good with the brands I mentioned earlier.