Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have a question about fixed vs. floating deck

I own a fixed deck wb and I have never bothered to change the height of cut because 3" has been O.K. for the few yards (< 10) that I have.

I am looking to grow, and want to buy another wb (or 2) and wanted a machine that I could change the height of cut quickly and on site.

Since I haven't changed it before, I have no idea how long it takes to do this on a fix deck, but it seems a bit intimidating to me...setting pitch and dropping on bricks, and so on. I just haven't messed with it. And I assume that a better option would be to go with a floating deck.

Would I be best to seek out a floating deck because it is quicker (I've been told) to change it?

Thanks for your help, sorry for being a moron.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, atleast on my lescos, you change the height by adding or subtracting spacers that are on the caster wheels.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a bobcat. the manual says to take off bolts that secure it to the frame and drop on bricks to the desired height, retighten bolts, and change the spacers on the front casters as well making sure to set the pitch correctly. Or something like that. Don't have the manuel in front of me.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yea i have never done that. i just change the spacers on the casters and have never had a problem with the mowers or the cut.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I own both and the floating deck is much easier and faster to change deck heights than the fixed. I would definitely recommend the floating. Also I do not know wheather your walkbehind is belt drive or hydro but if you are going to buy a new walkbehind I would go with a hydro if you can afford the difference in price. In my opinion its worth every extra penny.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yea changing the heigh its a pita if your by yourself. if you have somebody with you have them hold down the mower while you change height. its not that big of a deal really. as for hydro or belt. Id say go hydro, having reverse is awesome! if its in the budget of course.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hydro is definetely not in the budget unless I find a great deal. I am going to be buying used, and thinking I will look for a toro tbar, or exmark w/ ecs controls based on what I've read on this forum.

I understand how awesome the hydro would be, but I am small time (and part time) right now and a belt drive is my best option.

UrbanGreen thank you for your post...that is what I suspected about the floating deck being easier to change so I think I will pursue that. Too bad most all 36's I've seen are fixed so I'm going to have to be patient to find the right machine.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

imo there is no reason to take apart the deck everytime you change the height. like i said we have been mowing with that lesco for years now. never had 1 problem and never adjusted the height besides at the spacers. hydro is nice buts the belt drive does the same thing... puts money in your pocket . youd be fine with a fixed deck, no point in spending the extra money for the float deck. just my .02
Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I own a ferris mower with a fixed deck and I can change the height about .5 inch very quickly by just pulling a cotter pin and moving the spacers. If I want to change it more than that then I need to unbolt the deck in rear of the deck and change the bolts around. I would guess that would be a pain but I don't change the deck height much on my walk behind.
6.5x12 big tex
honda ridgeline
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark used to make a floating deck, belt driven called the Metro HP. I just sold one. I dont know what years they were made but mine was a 2002. Great mower, great cut. Very easy to change deck height.