Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2001, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Custom paver designs

As winter approaches, I've been toying around with a few ideas of how to keep busy.

One idea I had is too create custom paver designs during the winter months, and then sell them in the spring.

Nothing new here, but my idea is to come up with a few simple designs, and sort of manufacture them indoors.

One idea I had, since it goes along the lines of where I want to go with my design work, is to create a Penn State Nittany lion symbol out of pavers.

I can print designs out on a plotter, and then trace them onto a bed of pavers. Was thinking of staying small, maybe no bigger than a 4x8 sheet of plywood. that way I can kind of package it as a preassembled unit.

May take awhile, but figure I can toy with the old wet saw for a few days every know and then and create a few different designs.

Then, in the spring, market them into some of my sales.

Any one ever heard of anyone doing this so far. Seems like a neat hobby over the winter and may lead to some unique marketing later on.

steve
Old 11-11-2001, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

With your expertise and vast knowledge of hardscapes I would think this should be a rather easy "add-on" to your sales.

I cant imagine a serious sports fan who wouldnt welcome the idea of having their favorite team be a part of their patio for those backyard sporting bbqs.

You could also consider toying with company logos or emblems if they arent too intricate. You might even be able to sell these ideas to organizations like hotels, larger firms and the like where you could do this at the entryways.

I like the idea though, keep us posted.

Kris
Old 11-11-2001, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve, I 've seen something along the lines at a supply yard. Maybe Ramsey building supply?

It was flowers made up of alot of small, different colored pieces(dyed?). Looked like a big PITA.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

My wife recently went through my desk and I can't find the magazine, but there was an awesome antelope done, I think in Colorado. I am right there with you and did the Indiana University IU logo on my back porch. 8'x8'. I thought it lookde great, but after thinking about it I wondered if it might hurt the resale value of my home. I think it will work but may need to focus on the business or campus rather than residential unless you go with designs that are less personal! Good Luck
Old 11-11-2001, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like fun and a challenge, but I bet the first question out of a potential customer's mouth is "can we get that in a different color?" Might have to strangle them then.

As tangent to that idea might be to do one for yourself or a friend, with photos of every step of the way. Sell the idea to the customer, who them decides design, brick style, color, etc. Schedule the project 2 months out, then you have rainy day work for awhile.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve,
Please don't tell my wife about this, I've got enough Nittany crap around here already!!
That sounds like a great idea, and I agree with the comments to go for the commercial logos, who could resist. You could even offer this to other paving contractors to help them upsell their projects maybe?
Old 11-11-2001, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

one more thing, I followed the advice of th eguy in the magazine I read. Lay the entire porch with one color(background), then trace your logo on the pavers and individually take each one out that needs to be cut and all tose inside and replace w/ abstract color. This way you can be very precise w/ your replacement pavers
Old 11-13-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I saw it either on TV or in a mag ... It was done the way jd explained .
Old 11-13-2001, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwilliams1
... but there was an awesome antelope done, I think in Colorado. ...
This wouldnt have been at a Cabellas Hunting Emporium would it???
Old 11-13-2001, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

no it was in Sept 2001 Landscape Management magazine, here is the picture, and I was wrong it was for a cedar log house in northwestern Pennsylvania
Attached Images