Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-11-2011, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Propane Mowers

Has anybody converted a Hustler Super Z over to propane, or does anybody currently run a LPG mower. I am thinking about converting because of the efficiency and cleaner running fuel, but I don't know how well it actually works in the green industry.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
I've seen one of the manufacturers already offer an LP powered mower, can't remember who. It had a tank like they use on fork lifts.
I've heard one day ALL mowers will be LP. It makes sense to me.

I've had no experience with propane. But my best friend had a delivery service using Chevy pickup trucks with the 350 engine converted to propane. He would expect to get 300,000 miles out of an engine before ever having to put a wrench on the motor. He said when he did tear them down for a rebuild they would be clean inside as if they were new.

I think you're on the right track.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Just think add a 1 burner grill and you could keep your men working through lunch they can both cook and mow at the same time! Or you could have a second income of selling burgers and Dogs to neighborhood kids as you mow!

Knowing propane burns cleaner is great but I am sure DOT will get their hands involved in the transportation aspect. Haveing a limmit of propane avalable on equipment or trucks is next. Licensing of companies for handeling or storage of propane cylinders ect.. what could become a money saver might end up becomeing a money pit for owners. I'll stick with gas for now and see where this goes for future consideration.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have 2 units on Propane and I am just about to do an install myself on Scag Tiger Cub. I got a protype mounting free so now I need a regulator and carb. The kicker for you may be the carb. My lawn shop convinced Kohler to make some carb after he had several made in an Austin shop. I will do the wiring but will need sensor to open the regulator. On my Tiger Cub they use the oil sensor. Keeping propane to the units is a little pain but we just bought more tanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We have 2 units on Propane and I am just about to do an install myself on Scag Tiger Cub. I got a protype mounting free so now I need a regulator and carb. The kicker for you may be the carb. My lawn shop convinced Kohler to make some carb after he had several made in an Austin shop. I will do the wiring but will need sensor to open the regulator. On my Tiger Cub they use the oil sensor. Keeping propane to the units is a little pain but we just bought more tanks.
What is the fuel comsuption per hour? What's the cost for fuel per hour? While I understand it burns cleaner with mowings dusty conditions does the oil appear cleaner?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
What is the fuel comsuption per hour? What's the cost for fuel per hour? While I understand it burns cleaner with mowings dusty conditions does the oil appear cleaner?
Posted via Mobile Device
I would like to know this also.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haggerty View Post
I've seen one of the manufacturers already offer an LP powered mower, can't remember who. It had a tank like they use on fork lifts.
I've heard one day ALL mowers will be LP. It makes sense to me.

I've had no experience with propane. But my best friend had a delivery service using Chevy pickup trucks with the 350 engine converted to propane. He would expect to get 300,000 miles out of an engine before ever having to put a wrench on the motor. He said when he did tear them down for a rebuild they would be clean inside as if they were new.

I think you're on the right track.

Wasn't gravley one that has a LP mower. I know husqvarna offers one in a 60 29 kawi. Other than those 2 I'm don't know of any others off the top of my head
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Dixie Chopper has a propane-powered machine.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
A tank of 10 gallon runs 5.5 hours on the big briggs on turf tiger 61"and
propane cost me $2.79 per gal. I got no numbers on the 17hp sentar yet. The oil is definitely cleaner at the 50 hour point should go 100 easily. I use schaeffer syntheic 10w30. We got into propane by chance when we bought out another guys mowers. I get cheap propane by buying it from dealer where I do business for 35 years. Normal price is higher.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So does the engine run the same as it would with gas? What kind of modifications do you have to do to the engine? By the time its all said and done i think it will come down to what is more available. LP or gasoline.