Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-11-2001, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Flat repair Slime-em or not

On my Lesco 54" hydro from time to time I`ll throw on the ole sulky .This last season I had two flats within a week on the sulky tire. I slimed it & it went flat again. Maybe I put the stuff in improperly. Brought home a new Flatlander last week and picked up a shiney little thumb-tack dead center on my brand new units` front tire. Are there different tire products or they all about the same? Or maybe I don`t even want to go with those tire additives.I live out so it ain`t like I`ve got a tire shop next-door.Like to hear some thoughts from the pro-cutters and resolve this problem.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: MG, for some reason i notice that the slime really works well in the larger tire and not so well say in the caster size tire, not sure why, you may want to consider a NO-FLAT tire for your sulky. they seem to do a great job, have them on all my sulkys and all caster wheels on my walk behinds. i know on some ride ons you may have to adjust deck pitch which is why i plug and slime. in those ride on csater you may want to throw an extra pump into the tire. TONY
Old 11-12-2001, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I stopped using Slime or any other sealant in my tires. I had one leak on a lawn and it left a dead streak of grass! I prefer to plug holes or throw a tube in. I've heard the solid no flat tires work well, but have not tried any. I run tubes in most castor tires as I had trouble with them breaking bead while hopping curbs.

Old 11-12-2001, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, tubes are the way to go. It can be a little difficult to get the tires off the rim but you don't have to worry about the bead breaking and that tire slime is a mess when you eventually cange the tires. You can just keep patching them if they spring a hole.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

To answer your question if all products are the same, my dealer recommends a product marketed by Simplicity - he says it is a type of rubber, without water - previous posts on this subject agree that some products (including slime) have lots of water and can rust your wheels. I do think the soft foam fill for castors would be the best. I have used a firm foam fill with no problems except weight and hardness.
Old 11-12-2001, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that the slime works better in the larger tires. We use the solid tires for our front casters and sulkie tires. The only drawbacks to the solids is the wheel bearings wear quicker on the sulkies. Russ
Old 11-12-2001, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have slime in all my eXmarks. Only had one flat all year. I guess a piece of large diameter wire in the sidewall wouldn't seal up.

I recommend it.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been running slime in my W/B tires for about 2 years with succes. Except for the bead popping off one last week.. ?? not sure what happend.. It was just sitting in the trailer ??? Anyway.. Think slime is good.. So far ...
Old 11-15-2001, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Member

If you use it and take it into a dealer to get it fixed eventually, tell them you have it in there (most of the time you can tell cause of weight, obviously). I had a few I didnt notice any weight difference and since it rusts your rims many times its really tough to break the bead. When I finally broke some of the beads with that crap in there it went all over the place. I looked like I blew a camel. I came out so many times to the customer and they just burst into laughs. I didnt find the humor in it, unless it wasnt me and it was my friend. Funny how that works. I used to sell some stuff out of Loveland, CO that didnt rust the rims. It was great. It was called Tru-Goo. There is also some slime that is real cheap. It doesnt have the little black specs in it. It doesnt work as well. There is the slime with the little blacks specs that works well. They are both slime brand. I havent sold slime in the last couple years, so I really dont know if what I said above has changed much or that they still make the cheap stuff.

I am surprised many of you have had good luck with foam filling castor wheels. I had terrible luck with doing it. I actually stopped providing the service. The problem I had is the tire, broke apart almost the first day of use. Any ideas, what may have been my problem? The soft ones from the factory were good, the regular tires that were foamed after the fact is what I had problems with. Thanks.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Arborist, I don't know what product you used - the "foam" I got in Wichita, Kansas was actually rubber, resembled solid silicone - very heavy and really too firm but I had no problem with the tires. I think the new "soft foam" would be great - haven't got much feedback from users.