Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2000, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I just think some people want something for nothing. I'm in pjc school now for pest & turfgrass certifacation. I do greet work i'm compliminted on my work all the time.I have uniforms and hats that was the first thing I purchased along with my equipment when I got into this biz.No matter what you know matter how hard you try you just cant please everyone.
Old 02-01-2000, 01:10 AM
Banned

I couldn't agree more. I am conscientious. I can't please everyone. I had a lady who I had to go through a lot to collect from. She treated me like I had done something wrong when I showed up wanting to collect &lt;b&gt;my&lt;/b&gt;money. <p>&quot;We won't be needing your services anymore,&quot; she said in a very snotty, condescending tone. I didn't take it to heart. She payed me. I ended up the winner for being rid of her. I had more work replace it shortly thereafter. You don't want to keep them all. You don't want to disclude any of them. However, not all customers are good customers. <p>I don't believe a good customer has to have a full service contract. That is a nice goal, but I'm not that rigid. I like to let the customer be right, as long as they are paying me.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;John
Old 02-01-2000, 01:13 AM
Banned

Old 02-01-2000, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the above posts & it sounds like You are doing the right things,But I beleave FL is a hard market to be in,that guy may not be here next year or next week for that matter....Quality....Dependable your worth it!!!<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 02-01-2000, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with retro's first post. Most fly by nighters don't carry insurance and it only takes one accident for the homeowner to realize that is why you charge a little more. Unfortunately, like mwhc said, they don't care what your equipment cost or what make it is. Also, having a pesticide license (or any other license)probably won't help win that TYPE of customer over. If they are looking to save money, what good does having a pesticide license do? It will always bother you when a customer dumps you. Don't take it personally. Read the marketing post, advertise and then you'll get to a point where you can pick them.
Old 02-01-2000, 08:18 AM
jeffclc

If you want good clean oats, you must pay a fair price, however if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a little cheaper.<p>Try to inform the customer that there are many costs involved woth running a LEGIMITATE business. Insurance, licenses, ect. all play into why you have a higher price.<p>When I am in that situation, I tell them to make sure that the other guy has insurance and is collecting sales tax. Same goes for a pesticide applicators license. <p>Some wont care, but that may be enough to sway others. Would you let someone work for you without insurance?<p>I had some sidewalks at a house that needed replaced. A referral from a neighbor gave me a name of a young fellow and his work was beautiful, and his price was pretty good. All was great, and then I asked for an insurance certificate. He said &quot; I'm insured&quot; I still insisted on a certificate, and he could not produce one, and I was forces to go with a higher priced competitor, with insurance.
Old 02-01-2000, 09:29 AM

I take time out to get to know most of my customers. Sometimes I have a conversation with them that can last 15 min after I finish their job. Some of them tell me that I am like one of their family. Being friendly and nice to your customers can go along way to retaining their business. I don't think I have ever lost a long standing customer to discount competition. And we have plenty of those around here. Most people like to do business with contractors they know and trust even if they have to pay a little more. I ask this high producing salesperson how he sold so much. He said &quot;He loved them into buying&quot;.
Old 02-01-2000, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kudos to Charles for touching on a subject that hasn't really been talk about too much. While we all talk about money and profits, do you really care about your customer or do you look at him as a profit center and thats it? Both are needed as Charles says to keeping them your clients for years to come. Remember, it takes alot more money to get customers as opposed to keeping the ones we already have. I too spend time talking to our clients, asking about their kids schooling, their hobbies, etc.. We have people who come out each week looking forward to seeing us and we too have some that say we are like a part of the family. Kill them with kindness and they'll always stick with you no matter how cheap the competition goes. Every Christmas we send out $5 (wholesale) poinsettias to everyone of our clients. You will retain about 99% of them by doing some of these things that really don't cost that much as opposed to what they spent on you during the year.
Old 02-01-2000, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I go with 4%-90% rule. 4 percent of my customers are gracios enough to provide me with 90% of the complaints i receive. I've come to accept it as a cost of doing buisness. <p>----------<br>Steven A Mager<br>
Old 02-01-2000, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I am worth what I charge.<br>And I also get to know my clients, a little goes along way. I also use my clients when they have a service I need. My dentist is a client, the best restraunt in town is a client. What comes around goes around, is what I always say. <br>Put the shoe on the other foot for a few seconds. One of my oldest clients both in age and longevity of affilation, can no longer afford my services if she were a new client. So her price is the same as when I started out, its break even now but she was there for me in the begining, and has refered several to me. <br>Most dont understand the price of doing bussiness, ins, taxes, repairs, replacement,ect... So if I loose an account to a &quot;cut throat&quot; so be it. I thank them then ask them if price were the only reason I lost them. I leave them with a card and tell them if it dosent work out give me a call, if I can squeeze you back in I will if not I'll recommend someone else. I've had some ask &quot;what do you mean?&quot; well I tell them I get calls everyday, (which I do and Im sure you all do to) And I cant leave their place open that Ill have to replace them with someone else and there are just so many hours in a day. I cant cut every lawn in town. So far when they have heard this I have had noone cancell. I think they know a good thing when they see it. But if their a constant complainer or problem let them be someones problem other than yours. Jim