Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2008, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lets talk Bad Boy cut quality

The reason I wanted to start this subject was I cant seem to find any videos of the mower being used on real turf grass. All the videos I have seen have been of terrible grass or overgrown crap and the cut looks horrible. I want to know how these mowers cut fine manicured northern turf grass. I wouldnt even consider one from what I have seen so far. It is almost like Bad Boy is avoiding showing people how the mowers really perform in the real world.

Seriously who cares if it can fly across a lawn or do wheelies? All mowers can do that. Bad boy seriously needs to get there marketing department in check if they want commercial cutters to even give there mowers a second look. I need proof that they can cut fine turf grass and leave a clean carpet smooth finish time after time. Then I may make the trip to a dealer and check them out.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The Cat diesel model has 70ftlbs of torque, Heres a you tube video of the diesel just Ideling through this bushogging material . I have tried to research them, if you google Bad Boy mowers, you will find many dealers in Australia? Thats why I have been so critical of these mowers, the company is unorganized, but looks like they are makeing a powerful machine, I would have to go with a Scag turf tiger with the new Cat diesel instead, better service locally. I am not impressed buy these claims like Ferris of 13MPH cutting speeds, I'm soory but some of my large area mowing jobs are large Church's and the rain water is constantly finding & creating new soil errosion, you may be able to go top forward speed for short bursts, but it gets fatiguing after 4hrs of mowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7O0GuCLZE

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 03-01-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me start off by saying I do not own a bad boy yet but will be demoing one here in a couple of weeks. As far as videos of cut quality I have found videos can be very untrue. If this is all you are bassing your opinon on you will be dissapointed when you actualy get a mower. I have used exmarks the last sevral years as well as skags so if you do not mind a weight I will give you my honest opinon in a few weeks. I can tell you by looking at the deck it looks very similar to the old ultra cut decks exmark used to run. I know it has close to the same blade tip speed so I am guessing it will have a decent cut. but again I will not know that for a couple of weeks
Old 03-01-2008, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I know that my Scag tiger cub 20hp air cooled Kohler twin, 48" velocity deck with gaterblades, I had to cut every week mulching here in Memphis during the growing season, thats with 4 spare Gator blade sets sharped with a Walls RBG 2181-P professional blade grinder. My residential contracts are biweekly, and paid in full before I start that month's cutting. I found out with my Scag that early morning wet bermuda, does not mulch well; consequently it required multiple pass to get that maniqured look, and the wet green grass clippings stained driveways & sidewalks. I love the Walkers now can do bagging, mulching, wide area's all with one tractor & 11decks &
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post
The Cat diesel model has 70ftlbs of torque, Heres a you tube video of the diesel just Ideling through this bushogging material . I have tried to research them, if you google Bad Boy mowers, you will find many dealers in Australia? Thats why I have been so critical of these mowers, the company is unorganized, but looks like they are makeing a powerful machine, I would have to go with a Scag turf tiger with the new Cat diesel instead, better service locally. I am not impressed buy these claims like Ferris of 13MPH cutting speeds, I'm soory but some of my large area mowing jobs are large Church's and the rain water is constantly finding & creating new soil errosion, you may be able to go top forward speed for short bursts, but it gets fatiguing after 4hrs of mowing.

Thats exactly the kind of video I am talking about. Why wont they just show somebody cutting nice turf grass? These arent bush hogs so why only show them cutting through that crap?
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 03-01-2008, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packey View Post
Let me start off by saying I do not own a bad boy yet but will be demoing one here in a couple of weeks. As far as videos of cut quality I have found videos can be very untrue. If this is all you are bassing your opinon on you will be dissapointed when you actualy get a mower. I have used exmarks the last sevral years as well as skags so if you do not mind a weight I will give you my honest opinon in a few weeks. I can tell you by looking at the deck it looks very similar to the old ultra cut decks exmark used to run. I know it has close to the same blade tip speed so I am guessing it will have a decent cut. but again I will not know that for a couple of weeks

Your right I know its hard to tell from a low quality video online. If you could post up a real review that would be great! They do look like awsome machines but my closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away and that leaves me out of owning one even if it does cut great.
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosparkplugs View Post

Geez...That video shows me that the "bad Boy" will not bog down...thats because it's not even cutting 1/3 of the crap it's going through! A Small tractor w/a 60" 3pt. shredder(brush hog) would level that in one pass with a better cut too. Bad Boy REALLY needs to PR this better instead of individuals embrassing the Bad Boy name with demos like that! As stated above we need turf cutting demos that clearly (in detail ) show the resulting cut.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEVO View Post
Geez...That video shows me that the "bad Boy" will not bog down...thats because it's not even cutting 1/3 of the crap it's going through! A Small tractor w/a 60" 3pt. shredder(brush hog) would level that in one pass with a better cut too. Bad Boy REALLY needs to PR this better instead of individuals embrassing the Bad Boy name with demos like that! As stated above we need turf cutting demos that clearly (in detail ) show the resulting cut.

Exactly what I was getting at! It isnt good at bush hogging (which frankly is pretty sad to me) but the question remains, is it good at turf grass?

Here watch this video. This isnt even nearly as bad and it still is cutting it like crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtQZB...eature=related
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's so frustrating to see all these videos... Obviously, this has little or no experience with ZTRs and the rear discharge deck is not on today's catalog.
Echo PAS-265 Power-heads with Trimmer, Edger, Hedge Clipper, ProSweep and Power Pruner attachments
Shindaiwa EB-802RT, Echo PB-755T & PB-265L Backpack Blowers
Various backup equipment (Poulan Pro, Toro, Troy Bilt, etc...)
Professional pressure washing equipment.
Amsoil synthetic oil and E3 spark plugs for all engines...
Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Your right I know its hard to tell from a low quality video online. If you could post up a real review that would be great! They do look like awsome machines but my closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away and that leaves me out of owning one even if it does cut great.
No-one on lawnsite will know the true cut quality until Tacoma buys one and takes some pictures.
The new tanks are looking pretty good anyway.