Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys from Florida make me sick!!

Our family just got back from Florida for a vacation, and one that was much needed. Stayed down there the whole week (Orlando) and two in Jacksonville. It looked like the spring clean up was under way in Jax, but Orlando seemed to be a little ahead than those in Jax. with pretty much full blown lawn care going. The weather you guys got there in Orlando is way to awesome! We did not even want to go home. We did (tried) to do all the stuff in Orlando but just not enough time. I was all excited when I seen all the mowers running, my wife would look at me and roll her eyes ever time I would see a lawncare company working cause I almost wanted to stop and watch them. Then we come home and all of our mowers are sitting in the shed all covered up, with not even a hint of spring in the air. It is kind of depressing. Well I just had to make a comment to you Florida guys and or southern guys too!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Come on down in August when the humidity is 100%.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Winters are the best here, but trust me, June thru October is no picnic. The humidity is smothering, threat of thunderstorms almost every afternoon can mess up my schedule daily, grass growing up to my eyeballs faster than I can cut it (with customers begging "please cut it shorter so it won't grow so fast"). It's enough to make me just thinking about it. With that said, I am proud to say this will be my 18th summer of doing this crazy work-can't think of anything else I'd rather do. While it's tough for 6 months, it's a pleasure for 6 months.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Last year my family went on a cruise in the carribean for a week, we flew into Miami which had fabulous weather. It was 80 the whole week on the cruise. Then we flew back home to Michigan expecting it to be about 50 but instead came home to an April ice storm. Only thing I thought about then was how much I wished I was mowing in Florida.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When we landed at the airport I could feel the humidity when we stepped outside. It was like 78 and the sun was NOT out. But we got used to it and it never bothered us the whole stay. But I could not take it if it was like 90 or so out. My hats off to yous!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deereman View Post
When we landed at the airport I could feel the humidity when we stepped outside. It was like 78 and the sun was NOT out. But we got used to it and it never bothered us the whole stay. But I could not take it if it was like 90 or so out. My hats off to yous!
Yeah, its nice now but come on down here when its 104 degrees with 90% humidityIt is so miserable you can't breath. I have had to knock off many days by 10 AM it would be so unberable. Right now it is warm enough to go outside with shorts and no shirt on. I feel the same way about you guys up north when it gets down to the low 20's here, how the heck do you stand it!?
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have lived in Florida a few years back. The weather is great in the winter but forget about the summer. It is a complete different kind of heat than you get up North. In July and August the sun will roast you. I give the guys in the deep south alot of credit. It can't be easy some days.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

done with my Contracted spring clean-ups too. Just killing time until march 25th, when my season starts here
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblawncare View Post
Winters are the best here, but trust me, June thru October is no picnic. The humidity is smothering, threat of thunderstorms almost every afternoon can mess up my schedule daily, grass growing up to my eyeballs faster than I can cut it (with customers begging "please cut it shorter so it won't grow so fast"). It's enough to make me just thinking about it. With that said, I am proud to say this will be my 18th summer of doing this crazy work-can't think of anything else I'd rather do. While it's tough for 6 months, it's a pleasure for 6 months.
this post pretty much sums up florida mowing. y'all have an "off-season" in the winter months. during that time, us floridians are still mowing bi-weekly.

i enjoy mowing in florida and wouldn't want to mow anywhere else. it just takes getting used to (i was born and raised here and can mow in 90+ temps easily).
Old 03-02-2008, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

trust me south florida is NOT the place to be cuttung grass. I lived in Cape Coral for three years. I just moved back to south michigan . I,m so gald to be out of tha crazy state..