Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-13-2001, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

landscape supply store

I was thinking of starting a landscape supply store. I would like to sell mulch, topsoil, big stones and rocks. Does anyone here have a store like that? I have found a good location but I'm not sure how to go about finding suppliers. If anyone could give me a little insight I would be very greatful. Thanks
Old 11-13-2001, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Trade shows, internet searches and yellow pages are ways to get some supplier info, but I've found working in the industry is best. I don't know how much you use the stuff you're looking to sell, but start there, sniff around, see what you can find.

Are you looking to supply landscapers or weekend warriors/DIYers?
Old 11-13-2001, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Stone!!! I have been looking on the internet and various other places. I will probably sell to who ever needs the materials professionals or just the weekend warriors.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to pick up limestone rock directly at rock quarries around Wichita - the stuff is extremely inexpensive that way but sometimes is not "building quality" - soft enough that some of it deteriorates. If you have lots of room, etc you may want to explore the possibility of making your own compost - lots of commercial cutters would love to supply you with grass and leaves.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hojo,

That was one of the things I was thinking about down the road, taking landscape waste (and stuff from my employees and fams) and make compost. Then sell it as part of installs, or if I ever get into retail (which would be on a VERY limited basis), I could sell it to the weekend warriors.

Have you done that and had success with it?
Old 11-13-2001, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry - I'm just a dreamer - have done limited research and know that most city dumps don't want the good compostable stuff - you would have to have some heavy equipment to do it right - I thought it sounded like a compatible business with the landscape rock sales, since you would have to have some of the same equipment and also similar customer base.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful about creating compost. Some States classify grass clippings and such as residual waste therefore requiring a State waste permit to accept and handle. I know that PA is that way, but don't know anything about the others.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in NJ you have to have some kind of license for composting. Grass clippings are a whole other big issue & I was told by a recycling company that the license to accept clippings is around $100,000 (not sure if that's a one time fee or yearly). Hence, there aren't many places here that accept grass clippings. Leaves and branches etc. are significantly cheaper licenses so there are more places accepting that stuff.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Green Acres,
Are you referring to a store such as Lesco that sells commercial equipment, grass seed, fert and chemicals? Or are you thinking in terms of selling nursery stock, mulch, stone and other landscape items maybe even including lighting fixtures? We have both types of suppliers and their products overlap only a little. You might want to determine what sort of dealers already exist in your area.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

This is something I am currently working on doing. I was thinking and working toward having a location to stock different mulches (both bulk and bagged), decorative gravel, pine straw, wheat straw, hydroseeding supplies, nusery stock, flowers, and such.

I would also use this location to market landscape work and maintenance.

Currently, we maintain and landscape many homes and commercial sites. I am trying to branch out and make a place for my wife to work at, as well as offer a new line of services.

I am still planning and praying about this, but it looks promising.