Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2008, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is the better choice and why?

I am about to buy a few things and just wondering which you think would be better as far as #1 reliability, #2 over all performance, #3 convience and finally of course price but price is not my first concern. I need to buy an edger, and a pole pruner. Should i go dedicated or combination type? like the stihl 130?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd get a dedicated edger since it is something that is used so much. Probably the same on the pole pruner, because with a dedicated unit, you can get them that go out like 18 feet, but with a combination unit, as far as I know, they are only one section, and like 6 feet at the most.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I'd get a dedicated edger since it is something that is used so much. Probably the same on the pole pruner, because with a dedicated unit, you can get them that go out like 18 feet, but with a combination unit, as far as I know, they are only one section, and like 6 feet at the most.
I think i am leaning to the dedicated myself, i am not one for gadgets and i think anything dedicated is always better but i just wanted to hear it from those that really know about these!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a two piece sthl 110 edger. Even the dealer put the trimmer attachment on wrong. It took me a while to figure out how to set it up properly. I think I would have major time delays if I started switching attachments.

Of course I'm not sure about that because I only have the edger attachment. What I'm saying is that it's definitely NOT snap on, snap off.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an old 2400 echo split shaft with a pruner a hedge trimmer and string trimmer attachments its the 230 now had it since 99 no problems have gone thru a few blades on the pole saw. I also have a toro split shaft that have an edger, hedge trimmer, and string trimmer attachments for nice to have back ups and versatility

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to buy all dedicated stuff, and thought the combi stuff was for a one man show. I now buy all combi stuff. If you have a problem with one, then all you have to do is switch heads and can keep going.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
I used to buy all dedicated stuff, and thought the combi stuff was for a one man show. I now buy all combi stuff. If you have a problem with one, then all you have to do is switch heads and can keep going.
ARE THEY EASY TO SWITCH FROM ONE TO THE OTHER {oops sorry about the caps!}
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the echo is better then the ryobi

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Running shindaiwa multitool 2years not been in the shop once.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
ARE THEY EASY TO SWITCH FROM ONE TO THE OTHER {oops sorry about the caps!}

Yup. Piece of cake, I like lawnman_scott says, I used to think they were not professional. One run of the KM130 and you will see its up to any task and very easy to switch from one attachment to another. It worked out good for me because I had purchased a homeowner power head at first and now I have that one as a backup in the event of downtime on the KM130.

The KM130 edges, trims and tills without any problem with power, though I dont have the hedge trimmer attachment, its next on my list and I can only imagine the ease of use of it, not to mention the extra reach.

At the end of the day I can put everything in a locking toolbox/truckbox in the bed of my truck and out of the elements, works great for me and a trimmer rack is not needed. When the powerhead wears out all I have to do is buy another unit and I have a new trimmer, tiller, edger, etc.

Oh, and with my KM130...I change attachments with engine still running if that will help lean you towards purchase if concerned about time. I will bet I can change from trimmer to edger before you can put up your trimmer in trimmer rack, get out edger check fuel, and start.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Last edited by cgaengineer; 03-03-2008 at 08:01 AM.