Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Need Box Truck Ramp Ideas

Looking to install a ramp/gate on a box truck. Anyone have any alternatives to the dovetail ramps? Please send pics or links of any ideas.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i can send you pics in a few days when the snow melts.... my box truck is behind the barn and i have a good 6 foot of bank stacked in front of it....

basicly i attached some 10X 10 90 degree brackets to the end of a 2x10 pressure treated board. 2 per board. i cut 6 inches off the side hanging below the board.

i cut a 45^ on the bottom of each board and attach 1 heavy door pull, to the inside 2" side of board.

then on my vandura.... i welded a peice of U channel that runs inbetween the tailights. i left the channel 2 inches lower then the lip of the truck....

i throw open the door. grab the handle pull the board out. drop the 4" short side of the bracket into the channel. do the same on the other side. When its time to leave i pull them out and slide them in...

whats nice is its fast, and adjustable... i have 2 more extra boards in case i want to load something with a narrow front end and wide rear.. or 3 wheels...

it works good for me... its my standard maintenance machine...i do have to use the dump for alot of things...Its not practicle to do mulch jobs, renovations, ceanups ect with the box

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them
- A. A. Milne, Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh

If you scatter thorns, don't go barefoot.
- Italian proverb
Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

ramp

can u send me some pics of ramp? Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you want to consider the dovetail design ? just asking.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been considering a dovetail. I currently have a maxon lift gate. Conyers corp near atlanta, GA. will build and install one for $1500 plus $100 to cut off lip that extends off the back of the truck for the lift gate. however they're 5 and a half hours away near ATL., I dont know if i should go ahead and buy a welder and build a ramp or dove tail myself for the same price,I'm also not sure if their's a way to leave the lift gate on the truck and also build a ramp or make modifications to my lift to use for the mowers... Do you have any suggestions?

KMT Services of Jax

Kevin-
Old 12-26-2009, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I need pics, plans, dimensions, ideas, spring ideas, etc. Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

www.usaramp.com might give you some ideas....
Old 12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kmtservicesofjax I do not know the type of truck ,box you have but we did a dovetail on a low truck (like a bread truck) to form a fixed dovetail with a 4' gate similar to a cabover lawn care truck .

If this is on the much larger 5500 type trucks and a maxom lift is similar to a fold out delivery lift then all you have to do is set the lift down on the ground and weld a bushing to each side of the lift to attach a lift arm to. then just have a solid back gate built to fit the truck opening then using a lift set the gate down to its accepted angle of approach then adjust the 2 arms to mount them to this part of the door ,then you will need a second gate added to make it reach the ground , this will form a bi-fold gate that will operate using the lift platform on the truck .

this is the simple idea of it ,to get dimensions and specific would be left to a welding shop or someone on site .

we did our newest dovetail for 350.00 but if it is a big gate system we did one and it was about 2200.oo for the big trucks .
Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The usa ramp and handy ramp system are the only ones I know of.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have Isuzu npr with supreme 16' enclosed body. My maxon lift gate tucks up under truck. I will have to measure to give dimensions. It folds like a bifold when u put it away and unfold to use in lower positon. I am thinking it may be complicated to add length on particular lift. It is rated for 1500 lbs. Maybe I could add another fold, however this would make it very heavy. I would have to pull out two folds at one time? This woul also put more strain on the lift and my back?