Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2013, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Moved from Georgia to Florida...Competition and Pricing SHOCK!

I started my company in 2003 in Atlanta. Moved to Florida after getting remarried. Worst move I could have made from a business standpoint. The amount of competition here is crazy, which in turn makes the pricing even crazier. I worked hard to start my company and was quite successful in Georgia. I went to school for Horticulture etc. It's depressing, going from a minimum of $40 per week yards, to trying to go up against a guy who only charges $20. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some of my work can be seen on my website...www.4cornerslandscape.com ....Thanks guys!
Old 09-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Sponsor

You are in an and extremely saturated market area. I do not envy your position. Only advise I may offer is to fill
niche markets where and when you can and hone your skills accordingly. The competition is not going anywhere, however you may still compete by working smarter in stead of harder.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-25-2013, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for replying, easy-lift guy.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In a price war tight routes is key. You can crank out over $140 or more per hour if your fast, good and know what your doing. Don't let the sticker shock bother you. Analyze what they are doing or doing wrong so you can fit in nicely( Time some of them(THE competition) if you have to. THIS GIVES YOU A GAUGE OF HOW FAST THEY ARE. Advertise where you want to work. Then farm that market. Over and Over and Over again. Make the competition tired of seeing you.

Great Book: "Think and Grow Rich"
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks dKoester!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Advertise where you want to work. Then farm that market. Over and Over and Over again. Make the competition tired of seeing you.
Best advice ever posted on lawnsite. This is my gameplan for marketing of a new area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make your name be top of mind for areas u wish to serve. Many people are too busy to get multiple estimates. Make sure they want you for reasons other than price. Good luck
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who replied. It's quite a feeling to go from something to nothing. Done the advertising, which worked well in my old market. Joined the Chamber of Commerce in my area. It's tough
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First off..nice work. You do a great job. My first piece of advice is to push reel mowing. Find Zoysia and Bermuda yards that are getting cut high and with rotaries and educate the customer on why they should be getting the turf cut with a reel. I don't know if your market will bear it but a lot of times people don't know what they don't have. Meaning because the lawn guy cuts Zoysia at 4" doesn't mean its right.

Second look for accounts where the current lawn guy only does mow and go and tell the customer you are a full service outfit and take care of everything. This will require you learning our plants but Im sure you won't have a hard time doing that. You'd be surprised but s lot of guys here only want to cut grass.

Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2014, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CORNERS View Post
I started my company in 2003 in Atlanta. Moved to Florida after getting remarried. Worst move I could have made from a business standpoint. The amount of competition here is crazy, which in turn makes the pricing even crazier. I worked hard to start my company and was quite successful in Georgia. I went to school for Horticulture etc. It's depressing, going from a minimum of $40 per week yards, to trying to go up against a guy who only charges $20. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Some of my work can be seen on my website...www.4cornerslandscape.com ....Thanks guys!
I'm in the same exact boat with competing with the $20/hr guys. I want to know how they're pulling it off.