Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Non Paying Clients

Hey bruthas. I was wondering what you guys do when someone stiffs you. I have a client that owes me $200 plus, and now doesn't even answer the phone. He kept telling me, I'll take care of it today....blah blah.
I 've sent invoices, letters and call once a week. Still nothing. That was a month ago, so I stopped his service. My brother in law is an attourney, but not sure if I want to do that yet. How do you bruthas handle this? I'm just tired of getting screwed over, this is the fifth time a client has done this.

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys how's everybody doing? Haven't been around in a while, been swamped with work, I guess thats a good thing. Everybody else keeping busy?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Hey guys how's everybody doing? Haven't been around in a while, been swamped with work, I guess thats a good thing. Everybody else keeping busy?
Doing good here too. Totally swamped here as well! It is great. My 3rd year in the business and things are finally starting to turn the corner.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlane View Post
Hey bruthas. I was wondering what you guys do when someone stiffs you. I have a client that owes me $200 plus, and now doesn't even answer the phone. He kept telling me, I'll take care of it today....blah blah.
I 've sent invoices, letters and call once a week. Still nothing. That was a month ago, so I stopped his service. My brother in law is an attourney, but not sure if I want to do that yet. How do you bruthas handle this? I'm just tired of getting screwed over, this is the fifth time a client has done this.
My advise is that there is only one solution to that. I charge all, and I mean ALL residentials in advance. But if you have to go to court, small claims court is very easy to win in. I have never lost in court.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman_scott View Post
My advise is that there is only one solution to that. I charge all, and I mean ALL residentials in advance. But if you have to go to court, small claims court is very easy to win in. I have never lost in court.
I do that. I made an exception in this case. I was told he had been screwed by other companies, not showing up and such. Guess I learned a lesson- noexceptions, payment up front.

Kevin Lane
Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kevin, my best advice which was bestowed upon me when the same crap happened. Crack open a cold one, kick back, repeat 100 times " No exceptions to my no exceptions rule ever again". Karma will fix that a-hole in no time. I always get first month up front after the first cut. Kind of a meet you halfway move. Don't dwell on it, you will just end up pissed off and tired. Have a great weekend everybody!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolawns View Post
Busy amor, how are you?
I have been busy lately. love the rain gets more customers calling, but sucks having to miss days or only cut half of my daily customers. but finally starting to pick up more customers.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor4421 View Post
I have been busy lately. love the rain gets more customers calling, but sucks having to miss days or only cut half of my daily customers. but finally starting to pick up more customers.
Isn't it cool to start seeing our businesses blossom into a business that people can be confident in since they have seen us around for a couple of years and they know they can call on us and we will be there for them and not dissappear like the wind.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah it is cool. i picked up 2 this past week that were unhappy with the guys they had doing it. seems like the potential customers are starting to not be so scared to spend their money. I thank god everytime i get called for an estimate. i am hoping for a great year for all of us in the area. has anyone heard from kleankuts lately? just wanted to know how he is feeling and doing.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
Isn't it cool to start seeing our businesses blossom into a business that people can be confident in since they have seen us around for a couple of years and they know they can call on us and we will be there for them and not dissappear like the wind.
I love it when some customers cancel during a drought, then call back when it starts growing, and offering to pay more. I like those kind of customers. I must admit, the customers I have had for the past 2 years are good ones. I have picked up a few neighbors along the way, hopefully I'll see more of that.

I just got a used Sthil backpack blower I bought from a mower technician. BR-400 friggin rocks, this thing has a ton of power, should've gotten this thing a long time ago. Its used but in great shape.

Hope all you bruthas are doing well. Nice to hear from you Amor, I feel ya on not being able to cut in the rain, it does suck without a hydro.

Kevin Lane