Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I lowered my price for about 2 weeks to $25 cuts,big mistake I went back to $35 and feel better,I was trying to compete with these Guys coming thru my area where I live....I decided to let them cut people grass at 20 & $25....I'm staying at $35.I sometimes wish it was a agreement with all the LCO on a set price in areas that way we all can benefit ....instead of this cut throat crap......I understand that everyone wants the customers....that's cool,but to get them advertising at $15 per cut and stuff like that....I just can't do it.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisdell's Lawn Serv. LLC View Post
I lowered my price for about 2 weeks to $25 cuts,big mistake I went back to $35 and feel better,I was trying to compete with these Guys coming thru my area where I live....I decided to let them cut people grass at 20 & $25....I'm staying at $35.I sometimes wish it was a agreement with all the LCO on a set price in areas that way we all can benefit ....instead of this cut throat crap......I understand that everyone wants the customers....that's cool,but to get them advertising at $15 per cut and stuff like that....I just can't do it.
The guys cutting grass for $15 and $20 either aren't doing it for long, aren't doing good work, or both.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Or they are doing good work and they're just slowly putting themselves out of business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisdell's Lawn Serv. LLC View Post
The lots are a bit biggger outside of Tampa. I've got city lots that are a few passes with the 21". Westchase and the Villages are 35 and up per cut. Lutz is 40 to 65. Davis Island is name your price and bring your "A" game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Veterans Day salute to all my brothers in arms past, present and fallen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Happy Veterans Day to all the veterans out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was handing out some business cards in the neighborhood next to mine and saw three yards with Zoysia that looked awful, even from a distance. When I got closer I could see why, they were obviously being cut with a rotary mower at a height of about 4 inches. Yards looked like absolute crap. From what I understand Zoysia can be cut with a rotary mower, however it needs to be cut very low (1-2) inches and with a very sharp blade.

Can these yards be salvaged or is it too late seeing how tall they are. I should also point out that the grass is very well established at this height, a neighbor I talked to said that the yards were installed a few years ago and the same company has been mowing them since, so the yards have probably been cut at around 4 inches ever since they were installed.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Was handing out some business cards in the neighborhood next to mine and saw three yards with Zoysia that looked awful, even from a distance. When I got closer I could see why, they were obviously being cut with a rotary mower at a height of about 4 inches. Yards looked like absolute crap. From what I understand Zoysia can be cut with a rotary mower, however it needs to be cut very low (1-2) inches and with a very sharp blade.

Can these yards be salvaged or is it too late seeing how tall they are. I should also point out that the grass is very well established at this height, a neighbor I talked to said that the yards were installed a few years ago and the same company has been mowing them since, so the yards have probably been cut at around 4 inches ever since they were installed.
they will need to be verdict, scalped, and maintained at. 75"-2" depending on cultivar. this should be done in spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Florida Gardner. I may go talk to the home owners about such. I'll obviously do a lot research first however, this could be very profitable. I'm not trying to steel peoples jobs but the company maintaining these yards is doing a real shoddy job, the flower beds are full of weeds, hedges look like crap... the 4in tall Zoysia is just the beginning. I'll talk to them about scalping and verticuting in the spring and then I can maintain the grass at 1.5in (the lowest my Gravely Proturn 148 will go). I keep my blades extremely sharp so I think the results could be good, definitely way better than whats going on right now. The grass currently looks like a giant afro.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Thanks Florida Gardner. I may go talk to the home owners about such. I'll obviously do a lot research first however, this could be very profitable. I'm not trying to steel peoples jobs but the company maintaining these yards is doing a real shoddy job, the flower beds are full of weeds, hedges look like crap... the 4in tall Zoysia is just the beginning. I'll talk to them about scalping and verticuting in the spring and then I can maintain the grass at 1.5in (the lowest my Gravely Proturn 148 will go). I keep my blades extremely sharp so I think the results could be good, definitely way better than whats going on right now. The grass currently looks like a giant afro.
if you will be rotary cutting assuming its empire you need to be using a 21" and bag. cut at 1.75-2". 1.5" with rotary looks like crapola
Posted via Mobile Device