Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
if you will be rotary cutting assuming its empire you need to be using a 21" and bag. cut at 1.75-2". 1.5" with rotary looks like crapola
Posted via Mobile Device
What is the advantage of using a 21 over my 48? I have a Toro Commercial 21 I can use so it's not a problem, just curious.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
What is the advantage of using a 21 over my 48? I have a Toro Commercial 21 I can use so it's not a problem, just curious.
a big mower like that trying to cut low is scalping waiting to happen plus tons of rutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the insight, I was thinking scalping but I wasn't positive.

I'm also thinking about verticutting my own lawn this spring. Anyone have any insights on that? I have Seville and it's really spongy in my front yard where it gets direct sunlight. Its really think and pretty just spongy, which my back yard isn't (more shade). I think I was cutting it to high the past few years. It sounds like Seville needs to be cut at 3 inches? I always read that St Augustine was to be cut at 4 inches which is what I do on all my accounts, however, it appears that Seville should be cut lower at around 3 in?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing, I have a question about pricing.... I may have two potential accounts, both right next to each other in a well established older neighborhood with nice houses, both yards are half acre lots, one is a corner lot. Medium Trimming and Edging. The other is right next door. Both have medium ammounts of landscaping that needs pruning etc.. What would you guys charge for mow/edge/trim/blow and figure the landscaping needs trimming once or twice a month? I pay my self $40/hr to mow and I'm thinking each yard will take me about 1.5 hours on average so, does $50 a cut sound fair? I think if they want to keep taking care of the landscape work I would charge them $40 a cut. My focus is on quality and not quantity, so I don't look at how fast I can do a yard but rather how long it takes to do it right.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

1.5hr = $65.00 min I stress the min No sense in working for free
HT131, FS80 (4), FS85 (3), FS90R (2), FS110R (3), FS130R (2), FS250 one bike, one loop, FS550 ("aka the Beast"), HL110k (2), FC110 (2), BR420 mag (3), BR600 Mag blowers (3) , 192T (2), 200T (1), MS290, MS261 (2), 660 a beast
880 more saw than anyone in Florida prob needs
Dolmar 7900
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I'm also thinking about verticutting my own lawn this spring. Anyone have any insights on that? I have Seville and it's really spongy in my front yard where it gets direct sunlight. Its really think and pretty just spongy, which my back yard isn't (more shade). I think I was cutting it to high the past few years. It sounds like Seville needs to be cut at 3 inches? I always read that St Augustine was to be cut at 4 inches which is what I do on all my accounts, however, it appears that Seville should be cut lower at around 3 in?
Sounds like typical seville in full sun in your front lawn. Combine Seville, too much water and fert in full sun and you have a sponge for a lawn. Verticutting the front will help cure it, I would wait until the grass is actively growing in the spring if I was you. Make sure you only go in one direction when verticutting and not in both directions. One direction will be enough stress on your lawn that you will freak out for a couple weeks following doing it as it is a stressful event for sure.

Seville can be cut at 5 inches without a spongy issue, especially in shade but in full sun as well. Need to look at practices that are helping it achieve that thatch because Seville in full sun is rarely the problem alone, it is generally excess fert and water that accompany it . Seville by nature tends to be a little deeper green IMHo and of course is generally denser ...so it does not need all the additional help especially in full sun that people think it needs.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help Landscape Poet! I talked to my dad and were going to verticut the yard in early April and tell the fert guy to lay off the fer a little bit up front.

Was at my local dealer today dropping off my Toro 21 Commercial for some work and I was looking at some line trimmers, I think I'm going to buy my self a Shindaiwa T282 to replace my Stihl KM110 that I'm using as a line trimmer. I was unaware that Shindy still made 2 stroke stuff except for the T242.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guys? Isn't it a little late for all this spring season activity? There isn't any turf growing around here that I would want to stress it with a verticut. Even with the warm temps the grass knows what time it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Patriot, I wont be verticutting until April. I'm just looking into it now so I know what I need to do come spring.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok cool then. Just makr sure its the blade type and not the flail wheel like Poet said it will look likr hell for a couple seeks but recover quick with a 0 0 46 mix. Then a bag cut at proper height. Good luck. Don't forget the micros to five that great great green pop.your neighbors will be asking.
Posted via Mobile Device