Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what classes are you taking westsweeper?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, west a good amount of us are solos. I have a helper 2 - 3 days a week & my wife helps me from time to time (like last weekend & this coming weekend) but for the most part I am on my own.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetz View Post
Ya kevin, that does help, thanks. Kevin, my name is also Kevin. What part of St. Pete. do you work in? Depending, you may have even seen me driving around in my truck & trailer. You can't really miss me. If you have seen my truck & you know my name, then you know what I am talking about. I pretty much work in St. Pete., Seminole, Gulfport, Pinellas Park & Kenneth City.
As a matter of fact I think I have seen you, now that I think about it...lol. Yeah I do some downtown St Pete, South St Pete, Tierra Verde, Tyrone and few in Clearwater.

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo, girlfriend helps sometimes but she hates it. rofl. Gas is killin me yes, so I did have to go up on some of my accounts, they were understanding and I still have those accounts. I just take it as it comes, I'm not quitting, too much at stake, ya know?

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsweeper4 View Post
So are most of you guys one man operations?

With gas prices going up, my guess is that some guys will be getting out of business. Anyone hear of LCOs selling accounts?

Right now Im gonna take some classes at HCC in the fall and then start the business in the beginning of 09

man it feels like im a newbie again....
I am solo everyday except Monday. Monday I cut all of my big properties and so I need a second mower going to make money on them and actually make it home before 10:00 pm.....

I plan on taking some classes at the Plant City extension of UF to get my bachelors in Turf managment or something in the Hort field. I just need to get control of my schedule and then go for it.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kevin, what color is your Ranger? I think I may have also seen you. My truck is a Tundra with a topper, both white. The windows on the topper are tinted dark & the name of my company & phone # is on them in white letters (They stand out even at 2am). My trailer is black. I have some in S. St. Pete. & Tyrone & my P.O. Box is at the Tyrone Post Office.....lol.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea I hear you about the too much in it. Hard to get away from it when its something you like to do.

As far as classes, not too sure yet. Probably take a class on irrigation, some pest control/fert classes, and just some other basics. Havent decided whether I want to delve into the fert application side of it or not. Basically just to get a formal knowledge of the St Aug grass. And it will help me put off student loan payments for another 6 months

tama, what kind of "big" properties do you do? seems like they are rather scare down here. id take 40-50 big properties over 100+ of the pesky HOA lawns any day.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually I don't too much like the big ones, they take so long that they don't pay as well as the smaller ones but the people absolutely love our work so I will stick with them.

I have my brother-in-laws auto shop on 301 in Dade City which is about 3.5 acres, and then a 5 acre in St. Joe, and then, 2 acres again in Dade City, and then 1 acre in Dade City.

The 5 acre property takes forever because it is LOADED with trees so we have to walk the property weekly and pick up sticks that have fallen and the owner has been having me plant annuals and some other stuff. I will be putting in some Mexican Heather and African Iris and some Marigolds this week and mulching one more bed on the pool deck. We did 2 beds on the pool deck last week.

I only have 26 properties right now but I am sending out a few hundred more postcards to places where they see my vehicle each week and then I will do doorhangers one more time. I need about 10 more accounts and I will be good to go.

Once my Limited license gets here I will be able to start selling bed maintenance to my current customers and make a bit more money that way.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well guys i'm heading out,hope you guys have a safe and Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Happy 4th!!!!!