Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlane View Post
Do you guys ever have problems with customers not paying? How do you guys bill? Lately I've had a few that all of a sudden are paying extremely late, not returning phone calls and etc. I don't want to just cancel them, cus I need the account. But its really starting to affect the business, I mean damn gas is sky high, overhead is killin me, and then these customers want to not pay...WTH?
I bill at the beginning of the month. The bill is due the 1st of the month. If they don't pay, I just leave a note on their door on their service date that I'm not cutting their yard till I get paid. It works.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bill on the first too, guess I will have to start doing that, not doing the service until they pay, huh. Maybe I could bring my rotweiller when I arrive at a service that hasn't paid, bring her to the door with me....knock knock I need a check! LOL

Kevin Lane
Genesis Property Management
MY MOTTO: GET ER DONE or keep walkin!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlane View Post
I bill on the first too, guess I will have to start doing that, not doing the service until they pay, huh. Maybe I could bring my rotweiller when I arrive at a service that hasn't paid, bring her to the door with me....knock knock I need a check! LOL
I think I would pay to see that!!!

Ya, just set at date and tell your customers. ie: the 5th or the 10th. If they haven't paid by then, you just stop service. Don't try to charge a late fee. I've found that 95% of people will NOT pay that. You may have to enforce this rule a couple of times with a couple of your customers, but they seem to get the point pretty quickly.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I send a bill out at the first of the month too. But its for the last month. I don't bill for work that I haven't done yet. Maybe I should even though my price never changes. I never do per cut yards too much a hassle.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh and Kevin I seem to have like 5 late payers a month. Some that are a few months behind.

This is what I do, after 3 weeks I send out another bill kinda like a reminder, to all the people that don't pay in that amount of time. If they are real late like by a whole month I call them or try and talk in person. I also flood their mail.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

kevin keep this in mind,you say you need the account but what good is it to you if you don't get paid?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleankutslawn View Post
kevin keep this in mind,you say you need the account but what good is it to you if you don't get paid?
EXACTLY!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Oh and Kevin I seem to have like 5 late payers a month. Some that are a few months behind.

This is what I do, after 3 weeks I send out another bill kinda like a reminder, to all the people that don't pay in that amount of time. If they are real late like by a whole month I call them or try and talk in person. I also flood their mail.
But, that all costs money. We (just like our customers) have mortgage or rent payments that are due on a certain date, plus, just like our customers, we have all kinds of other expenses & bills. You have to pay in advance for most services like phones, water, electricity, etc. Either that or they require you to put a large deposit on you account. If your credit is good enough you may be OK, but I'm not going to check everyone of my customers credit!

If you bill at the end of the month and then give them 3 - 4 weeks to pay, they have gotten 2 months worth of free work out of you if they decide not to pay their bill. Granted most people wouldn't do this, but I'd rather not take any chances. When I started out, I too billed at the end of the month. But I got screwed by one customer who did get like 2 1/2 months of free full service lawn care (she decided not to pay) out of me. That made up my mind about this whole thing right then & there.

The only exception I have made is with one of my commercial accounts. They typically pay 1/2 way through the month.

This is all my opinion, I'm not knocking anyone for doing things their own way. That's why I LOVE being in business for yourself. YOU make the rules. What works very well for you might su** for someone else & visa versa.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

that makes sense and I always keep that thought in the back of my mind. I need to start cracking down on my customers. Start charging late fees, raise prices more often and start billing at the beginning of the month.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I bill out on the 15th of the month for the upcoming month. My September bills are ready to go out this Friday.

I have one customer that is suspended from service because she is 30 days behind. No pay, no more service and True Green sprayed more on her lawn last tuesday. It hasn't been cut in 2+ weeks and it is almost mid-shin high.

I cannot afford to cut too much for free. I charge a $10 late fee for bills paid after the 15th of the due month and it has always been paid.

Don't give away the farm on the notion that some idiot will pay their bill, I have been stung 2 times now and I don't like it one bit! One month is all they get.