Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Homelite Equipment?

I am about to buy a weed eater, edger, and blower and I was wanting to know how good equipment Homelite made? Is it is cheaper, I am just wondering if it is a good idea to buy their equipment?

Don Chambers
Old 03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

stay a way from it.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its great if you don't mind replacing equipment regularly. They will know that you are using it commercially and not warranty any of it after a short time.

It won't hold up and you will be spending good money over bad just to make through a days work.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Member

the company i am with now uses crap equipment for everything, just starting out on my own. anyhow we only use craftman 21" mowers with about 60+ weekly cuts. my boss has to buy new mowers twice a year. we have crappy trucks, mowers, blowers, and trimmers. he recently got this ryobi trimmer that actually hasnt performed half bad. however, the amount of homelites he goes through is disturbing.. they almost always have something wrong with them within the SECOND day. now, coming from somebody who only uses crappy equipment, stay away from the homelites, they are crappier than crappy.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I say it all the time and live buy what I say, buy commercial !!!!!!! 1 good commercial trimmer = 3-4 Homelite, Ryobi junk. Price alway's seems to be the reason these cheap company's buy stuff like Homelite and other junk but in reality they are spending a lot more than the rest of us who buy commercial equipment. I have a couple older Toro Proline trimmers from the early 90's that still run great and are backups these day's. I just keep them around because they just won't die, they still run smooth as the day they were new and start on second pull every time. How many can say that about their Homelite or Ryobi ?
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The trimmer needs to be commercial grade, the Echo SRM 210 for around 200$ is a good trimmer for the pricepoint. As for as the blower and edger, how much are you going to be using these? If you are just blowing grass and not doing leaf cleanups, just buy a handheld blower to start and upgrade to a better one as budget allows.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homelite??? - Don't do that to yourself. Such a move will prove to be of great disservice to you. I say do it right the first time. Like one of the guys here said, "Buy Commercial!!!"
-6.4L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel V8
'05 Haulmark 16' V-Nose, Tandem Axle Trailer
"My Favorite Baseball Team Is Any Team That Beats The Yankees!" - GO RedSox!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What about 'Weedeater'
Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol

Key Word Home light
Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah I tell you, there are two things that can't be beat:

1) Equipment that refuses to work, is inadequate and takes at least twice as long on a good day, and on a bad day it won't even start. Now when this won't start, plan on doing a complete rebuild, half the stuff inside falls apart on you as you take off the cover and dealers of reputable repair shops won't touch it after that.
2) Equipment that always starts and gets the job done, it runs so good that on a bad day if it don't start by the 3rd pull something is wrong lol so put some gas in it. If it still don't work put a new spark plug or an air filter on it, and if it still don't work take it to the dealer and tell them to give you a good one.

In terms of downtime, with low grade stuff you'll work for half of what you're getting paid, since you'll spend roughly half the time fixing it. No doubt even the best high grade stuff has its day, too. But cheap equipment has those days like all the time.

So why not make 362 out of the next 365 days good?
Buy quality equipment.

Bonus: It boosts your ego, it actually helps you quote higher prices with a straight face when you KNOW your poo don't stink.
On the flipside, cheap equipment is a downer.
It's true, the quality of your equipment has an effect on you!
Buy quality equipment, make good money.

Last edited by topsites; 03-05-2008 at 06:08 PM.