Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2008, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another post by the BIG W hope its ok.

Someone complained that i " post " too MUCH so i had to title the post that way...haha ..Anyway what i really want to know is , How the heck am i ever going to get to all of my spring clean ups and mulch jobs when all it does is rain around here?
The dam leaves will be soaked for weeks if it dont stop raining every other day.The mowing season starts like first week of april and i havent even begun these cleanups yet.What do you guys do when this happens with the weather messing up your clean ups,do you wind up hitting them on weekends after the season starts? Come on guys im trying to learn something here and not just post...how many deals i closed today...which by the way was a big fat "0"
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If ya see a break in the weather for a day or two, go blow out some/most of the leaves to maximize drying. Mind the wind(s) and the neighbors, though.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate working around bad weather. Only did lawns for two seasons and I try and get as much works as possible in spring clean ups.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that everyone is in the same boat. Plus it cuts down the dust, this is very dusty work. This year I'm going to have air filters to breath through when bagging thatch.

Basically I just try to get as much done as possible, as early as possible and I try to start working again after the rain. I've even worked between rain showers. I'll quit if it's a soaker though.

Waiting for the optimum day is a bad idea but when they happen get as much done as you can. You can't stay clean doing spring clean ups so I'll just walk through mud if I have to.

Plus, if you have a back pack blower and a hand held going at the same time, it helps.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes you do have to work in bad weather, it stinks sometimes, but you have to take the bad with the good.

BTW, the purpose of this site is for people to start threads, respond to threads, ask questions, and in general, be social with their peers. Keep posting as much as you want, I know I will.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry to much about it... I don't have any intention of starting clean-ups until mid week next week. If all goes as planned, mowing should begin first or second week of April.

BTW, did you see what the weather is for this weekend. Possible Snow N&W of Phila. Possible snow or rain on Wednesday of next week as well.
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
BTW, the purpose of this site is for people to start threads, respond to threads, ask questions, and in general, be social with their peers. Keep posting as much as you want, I know I will.
No doubt. There's some ornery folks out there AND in here. Post away...just 1) make me think, OR 2) make me smarter, OR 3) make me laugh! Or ALL three!!
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

i'm all about having fun and enjoying this site...but don't label the thread with "retaining wall" or "problem with spindle on mower" or "need help on bid" lol i like to have fun and joke as much as the next guy, but start a new thread that those people can attend. Its just getting a bit out of line as far as the subject is related to the actual responses. someone needs to start threads like "lets be buddy buddy" or "i want to fight" or "i want to act like a silly kid right now" lol lol...just my $ .02

bigW...i would offer a maintenance package to your customers for the spring clean up due to your weather. Whether your rates change or not, I would go with this route. You can do lets say 1/3 of the work everytime you begin to cut in april, assuming you don't have time before mowing starts. In three weeks they will all be done and you will be back to fulltime mowing. Not a bad way to approach it.

No Bunk Lawn Care
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just plan on working some 70-80hr weeks in the spring. The work load is heavier, weather is more disagreeable, and people are nearly all eager to get their yard going. Just realize that it is a temporary thing. For us, things usually level off a bit in May, and by June, we are working a normal work week.

Unless you are posting nonsense, post all you want.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle