Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

good to hear overwintering is ok at that depth. Only reason why I asked is because I know herons and racoons can easily get into 2' water with any type of fish i always recommend going at least 4' deep but you can get away with 3' for goldfish. bio falls and veggie filters will be great in that setting with a low fish load. keep the pics coming
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is nice to have a professional koi pond builder to get some feedback from. Predator protection is a definite concern. I will make some shelf overhangs and use on really big slab boulder to make a good shelter with also.

Do you do any "standard" decorative ponds? i.e. epdm liner and boulders?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

shelves are another concern with livestock as if the pond is 30" deep your shelves will probably be at 12" or 18" so even though the fish will run down to the 30" deep section the predator will just stand on the shelving. Im usually very against any type of shelving in a pond containing any type of livestock. I have done things where I would build a separate bog on the outside parameter. I mean really ill do whatever the customer wants but those are my recommendations and my insite for the future. What i notice is people always tend to turn a water garden into a fish pond, then they hear about and see koi and then add koi. Which as im sure you know if a customer says oh no its just a water garden no fish youre not going to design the pond for fish, but then it happens later on so I just spend a lot of time with the customer and let them know what they will need

As for decorative ponds that is mostly all of my business, not really many people want to keep a strictly koi pond. I admit they are not all that appealing to the eye if you like the natural setting, sure it can be done but a real koi pond doesnt consist of plants, shelves nothing other then fish and lots of people dont like that. building koi ponds is my passion and if I could that would be all i would build, but its just not the market too many people are afraid of keeping fish or all too often have had a bad experience of putting fish into a pond designed for plants.

There is a lot of good predator protection. have you heard of the Scarecrow? I know a lot of people have luck with those
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally getting started.

We just got 2 inches of rain the last couple of days that I had to wait for. We are going to finish draining, core drill, and hopefully finish rough filling the pool tomorrow.

I decided to rent a sheeps foot drum roller and use more cohesive soil. Should be able to get 100% compaction or more.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

man i would love to have a few more koi in my pond
Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in Texas and would LOVE to discuss getting the Koi!! When you get to that point, please let me know. I would prefer that they be shipped (I'd pay the cost), but if that's not possible, I could also drive up to get them.

Can't wait to see the results!!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update but not pics

Wish I had pics, I will try to post some tonite. Pool is filled in within a foot of the coping. 16 trucks. All demolition is done and the bog filter is excavated.

We have upped the ante with our rock selection. 4 boulders over 2000#'s each in the falls. They are going to have to be craned in over the 7' cedar fence and a tree.

I am incredibly excited about the project. I hope to have the pond shelves all excavated today and photos to post.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some new progress pics.

Pool emptied, and then filled. Those little compactors sure tip over easy.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Filled in and the rough shape outlined.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some of the boulders. Largest is 2900 #'s
Digging the pond.
Tarped pond in anticipation of the spring rain.
Attached Images