Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2001, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

fliers

A friend of mine has used this method with great success. I am going to do it for a new market that I am targeting for 2002.

Give an estimated price on the bottom of your flier. You are there distributing it anyway. have the price read. "An estimated price for your lawn is $30-$40. For a more exact price feel free to call..."

For each price bracket, make a different colored flier to leave at the property. My friend has had great success with this for residential properties.

Word of mouth is the best though.

Good Luck!

Matthew
Old 11-25-2001, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Our best response seems to come from people seeing our red trucks; our red shirted crews, and the work that we do. Newspaper ads seem to work very early in the season. Yellow pages have not generated the income to account for the expense. Web page is still in development.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

We get most of our work from referrals. Landscape architects reccomend us, then we do our best to make the la look good- and never step on their toes. We also have good relationships with nurseries, supply yards, building contractors, property managers, and just about all of our own clients- and all of these folks reccomend us. If work is looking a little thin for some reason I make 2 or 3 calls to the folks mentioned above and come up with a bunch of jobs to bid.
Here's another method which works- Thank the clients you worked for in the past year. Wait until spring when they would be thinking about landscaping anyways. This spring I sent out 20 books @ $20 each with thank you notes. Almost everyone called to say thanks for the book, and 5 asked us to do new work total of about $20,000. Not bad for $400 investment.
Third Idea- upsell on monthly maintenance bills. Throw in a note about plowing wilt-pruf...whatever. It's practically free and the responses are prettty good.
Yellow pages and newspaper ad's will get you a million tire kickers.
Old 11-26-2001, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For our grounds maintenace services we run a yellow page add, we distribute around 2000 to 3000 door hangers (this past year) returning 21 new jobs on appox, 2000 put on doors, run small adds in local flyers, we run adds on local restaraunt place mates and the list goes on. For people starting out with small budgets my opion is find a proffesional to letter (vynal) your truck up and have them make a tail gate sign for the trailer, run a yellow page add and most MOST!!!! important be friendly with your customers and do the best job possible, if you gotta stay there an extra hour to perfect it do it for they are you best advertisment!!! You will close 90% of referals do to say mabey 3-5% phone book, 5-10 from door hangers ect ect. Your best advertiment is your work. But you still gotta get your name out there and lettering your truck, phone adds and door hangers are a great start. We have some part time women we employee that contact customers for business and we give them so much % of the contract if awarded to us. I found over the years a females voice will get at least 65% better return in a conversation then a males. Are you married or got a girlfriend? Have her contact them and you look for the the properties to service. Look at cold calling that works but you must be persistant our girls sometimes call the same company 3-4 times before she can set up a meeting. Try the basics and work your way up, but 3-5% of your income in a savings account for advertising. we get a 100-200% of our money back from new work from this practice.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Advertising Accomplishments!

Last spring I bought a doorknob hanger advertisement from NEBS. (Http://www.nebs.com). In the early spring they gave about a 40% discount. I bought 2000 flyers for around $95.00. This item has a tear out business card at the bottom.

In the beginning of Spring I would walk thru selected sub-divsions and place these on mailbox posts. I cut out a thick piece of cardboard into 4 by 6 inches. I would fill this up with push thumb tacks. Then as I came to a mail box I would pull off a tack and push it in the flyer into the mailbox post. I verified with the local carrier what I could and could not do on putting these out on mailboxes. He said as long as it did not block his opening and closing of mail boxes I could place them on the post. Some postal carriers may not allow you to do this. This is a contraversial subject in itself. In many sub divisions the mail boxes are uniform and had a area on the post to place flyers.

When I would be out at a site cutting a yard and the neighbors yard would be in bad shape needing cutting I would place a flyer with an estimate to service their yard. I picked up several customers this way. Also, with the tear off business card mentioned above, I have picked up customers a month or two later. People will keep a card but throw away flyers on 8.5 X 11.
Old 12-03-2001, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mouth + flyers