Register free!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my thoughts, which doesn't mean much, every thing has a natural predator... find out what that is.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Will the grass come back? My sources experience is with Bermuda and Bermuda comes back from almost anything.

The Arbico source took a little explaining on the phone and some discussions with someone a little further up the food chain at Arbico. I feel pretty comfortable that their nematodes applied at the right time would kill the new pearls. I am less confident about their effect on the older hard shelled pearls but I also don't know how long they live so maybe the old ones die off after a season.

I am glad we are discussing something new and of some use rather than which mower is best. Thanks for the great feed back.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do what I can, LOL.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden View Post
I checked out Arbico and couldn't find anything that even mentioned ground pearls.

In theory if you had a ground pearl too look at under a microscope, Could you apply beneficial Nematodes and actually watch and see if they will attack and penetrate through their waxy cuticle?
In theory, I would say yes. If the scope was good enough.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
In theory, I would say yes. If the scope was good enough.
I might have to amend that statement. The nematodes don't like being in the water because they drown. When you see them under the scope they thrash around. I have seen one or two feeding, but mostly thrashing. I'll bump this up to the top and see if Tim Wilson responds. I believe he's looked at nematodes under the scope a bit.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyLawn View Post
I might have to amend that statement. The nematodes don't like being in the water because they drown. When you see them under the scope they thrash around. I have seen one or two feeding, but mostly thrashing. I'll bump this up to the top and see if Tim Wilson responds. I believe he's looked at nematodes under the scope a bit.
Then try a dry mount.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Az Gardener, so if that's the case about applying the nematodes when they are young the best time to treat would probly be late May or so. Being that the ground pearls are fairly staionary would you apply their brand of NemAttack or NemaSeek?

If you had some ground pearls and simply put the nematodes on them would you be able to observe them doing their dirty work?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is an old thread but I have a bit of pearl scale popping up myself so I have been doing some more research. I found out that ants might be a predator they think . I read that in an old research paper.

I also read you can outgrow them with a vigorous fertilizer program/ uber healthy lawn. I will call again and talk to the folks at Arbico to determine which neema to use. Cost is not really an issue so I might do both.

Pearl scale are not so bad on seeded Bermuda varieties as they are on hybridized sodded varieties. One page suggested over seeding bare spots with a seeded variety like Sahara.

I talked to Kai Umeda from U of A today. He did some research on pearlscale treatments for several years with merit, arena and several others and found them to have no effect on the pearls. He would not comment on my TSP idea and did confirm the best defense is a good offense. So he recommended a vigorous fertilizer program. Said he also heard about the sulfur from several sources but has had no first hand experience

I am going to try a multi front attack in several phases. I will let you know how it goes.

Last thing if your poking around in possibly affected soil be sure to sanitize your tools so you don't spread it. I would also think twice before renting a aerator or verticutter for a primo lawn.

You know this used to be so much simpler.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 01-15-2010, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

TSP mixed with Dylox turns the active ingredient into DDVP aka Vapona. That is an organophosphate pesticide with an LD 50 of less than 100 MG/KG and very easily absorbed through skin. It is also extremely volatile. I would rather take my chances with a Merit application drenched in with a soil surfactant.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 01-15-2010, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would not mix the two, one application one week another the following week. Why would you try merit when a university professor just told us that it had zero effect after several years of trials?

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”