Register free!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long does stump grinding take?

I have about 60 8-10" trees in my yard that have to come out. I was planning on renting a stump grinder till i counted how many have to come out. How long does it take to grind a tree?

---OR---
How big of a tractor do i need to pull these things over. They are ash trees.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Go with a backhoe and be sure to cut the stumps about 3 or 4 feet high so you get some leverage to rip out the stumps.
I have not seen how ash comes up but I would think you should plan on a couple of days but actually finish in one. Do not undersize your backhoe.

I watched a guy remove 40+ pine stumps with a smaller model than he should have and it may have been quicker grinding them. He looked like a grasshopper popping up and down , trying to dig out the roots. They had all the stumps short too so he couldn't get any help with leverage.

That of course means loading, hauling and dumping some pretty huge chunks of stuff. 2 guys each with a hand pushed grinder, could possibly do it in one day. Then what are the hauling requirements for the grindings? More people are recognizing the value of grindings so you may not have to haul at all.
Then, even though possibly slower, grinding becomes the cheaper and more profitable alternative.

Are you chipping the tops?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well hire one or maybe get a contractor in and watch.
Reason is type of tree hard wood etc Some times you could be 3 times youretime allowed if hardwood types.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

stump

we grind a lot of stumps rent a 252 vermeer grinder it will be 6 to 8 hours to grind to roots than rent a mini skid loader and clean up your chips.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a dingo, so i plan to haul the full tree over to the burn area. I will just burn the trees.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2008, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Member

All depends on the size of the grinder, the smaller ones probably 10-15-20 maybe 30-45 minutes each, much depends on the sharpness of the teeth!

I'm not really sure about the teeth but I know they don't last forever at all. They cost an arm and a leg and need frequent replacement (or at least rotating and only the more expensive ones can be rotated, even those it's not the same as new)... Frequent maintenance they do require, that much I know.

I'd say the bigger pull-behind ones get it done faster, but you'll have to take your truck into the yard and move all around like that...
The walk-along / self-propelled ones are easier to maneuver, but might take longer.

If someone knew more exact specs that would help, why not try arboristsite.com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawntec View Post
I have a dingo, so i plan to haul the full tree over to the burn area. I will just burn the trees.
Oh that is so not green thou ...
Wish I had a better idea.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Rent A Backhoe And Rip Them Out So Much Easier
Old 03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

like 5 mins max each, pretty quick and no mess or fill in like with an excavater, back hoe.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In the long run grinding the stumps will be better. You will not have any loader tracks in the turf to deal with, roots are sometime hard to get rid of and grinding will be quicker. Just get a hold of a Rayco RG 50 or RG 66 and you will go right through those 60 10 inch stumps. Just like the above post you will only spend 5 minutes or less on each stump. Just get the right equipment.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would find someone with a (Cat 953 or similar in size)track loader with a 4in1 bucket. Maybe two days work..........