Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2001, 07:24 PM

I fired my crew today

Today I cought my guys doing a leaf cleanup with my equipment at one of my customers houses. When I finally found out where they where I went there, I took all my equipment, I was so pissed i fired them and told them they owed me the money they where making on the job because they where using my stuff and lied to me about it. I'm not sure what to do though, i fired all 3 guys but one of them has worked for me all year and is a realy good worker and pretty responsible (besides for today) and he was the least involved in this plot as far as i know, the other guys are totally done, but i'm thinking of maybe taking the one guy back if he makes amends. What do u guys think I should do? Oh yah they did give me some money but I know it's not what they made, and even so what they charged the customer was about 40% of what I charge. This was just one thing on top of a buch of other this that happened today, i realy did not have a good day.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First off, I guess your not having your crews write down times on the jobs. Second do you have a way of communicating with them? Third no matter what anyone on here tells you, your crew was illegally stealing from you and you should prosecute them to the fullest of the law. Fourth if you don't need the help bad, I personaly wouldn't ask any of them to come back and work, unless they had no knowlage of the work being performed was not for you. If he/she did then you should prosecute them too. Don't let it go.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with lgf completely, that was steeling no if ands or buts about it. i would be pissed too.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:59 PM

I guess I forgot to mention that we wern't working today, one of the guys called me up this morning and asked if he could use a backpack blower and i told him ok because he was gonna use it to do the leaves at his house. When i got to the shop to work on plows today and i notiiced the equipment missing and somebody told me one of my guys took the stuff so i went and traked them down and cought them.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

CALL the POLICE. Don't mess around. That is a FELONY.
Old 11-17-2001, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when u spoke with the guy did he specifically say he wanted the blower, or did he say can i borrow a blower and stuff to do leaves today, did he specifically say his house or did he say to do some leaves? even if the answer is yes its still wrong but if its no to all then i agree call the police
Old 11-17-2001, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another compelling reason to stay solo. I only hire temp help if I have a big special job that I want to get done quicker. I'm sure there are some good reasons to have a crew but I have not heard enough for me to justify the nightmares I hear about having employee's. Good luck, I hope it works out ok for you.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I think you did the only thing possible, to fire them! I really don't think you will get much for all the trouble to call police. What is it gonna do for you? You did get all your stuff back, so just let it go. I would not hire any of them back either. They all knew it was wrong and that is that. I hope it works out for you which ever way you go! And that's just another reason for me to stay solo too.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TJLC
Another compelling reason to stay solo.
My thoughts exactly. When I use help, I can't concentrate on what I need to do, worrying about what they are up to.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-17-2001, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Godfather is a hundren precent right it is stealing. But unforturely you have hurt your self by losing a crew. Been there done that. It hurts because now you have get another crew and train them. You are short people so now you will lose work at a time of the year when you can least afford it. These idiot were looking for a job when they found you so they are really not out any thing. They will just find someone else to seal from. I think the biggest problem we have is employee. I read where others post about customers I have no real problems with customer only employees not doing there job right and getting customer mad. I said been there done that and I would do it again and again We don't lie and we don't steal so sleep good tonight because you were right.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.