Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-18-2001, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man it sucks that you lost all of your help. Good thing it's near the end of the season though. If this senario happened to me, I would have let them all go. I wouldn't have asked for the money they made on the job.Just let the scum go. I would have serious discussions with the client who went through the back door to get this job done. I would think seriously about dropping that account.
There is no honor among thieves. Don't hire anyone back. Start with a fresh crew and lay down the ground rules from the beginning. This may be a breath of fresh air for your operation. Getting some new blood in the truck.

Just my opinion. Good luck, Bill!
Old 11-18-2001, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be curious to know exactly what the customer had to say. Maybe it was the employees that got this rolling, and the customer thought it was through the company. I had something like this happen to me when I first started out. I started out as a partnership. I later found out he was taking our equipment out,(by this time, I had thousands invested to his few hundred,) doing jobs on the side, and not reporting them. I told him to gather up his bookwork, and I'll be figuring out what he owes me. Needless to say, he didn't have any records, not a leg to stand on. Well, when we split up, I talked to all the customers, and based on what they saw of our work, and the ability to get the job done, most went with me. The few that didn't were calling me within two weeks, begging me to come back.With that, the few that remained after that, I decided to take it upon myself to call on them. They were all like, "We are so glad to see you!" So, I ended up with all the jobs, he ended up with nothing. I'm enjoying life (to the fullest) running my scrubby lco, and he's a bum that has since did time. Just MESS with me!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well Green Guy !
I want to first say never loan or lend equipement.
2 Rental places are world wide.
3 Dont think of hiring this guy again.
4 That was the only time you cought them.

LISTEN to the godfather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antonio
Old 11-18-2001, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is no honor among thieves.

The customer is guilty through association...if nothing else.
Drop 'em.
Since you're solo now, you'll need the spare minute to gather yourself/business...

You might be a while trusting employees again.

Definately set up an accountability system.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Well as far as getting whats owed to you, do they have a check coming? If so, DONT PAY THEM!:blob4:
Old 11-19-2001, 12:01 AM

Well, as far as acountablity, 80% of the time I am working with them and when i'm not they have to write everything down. The thing about yesturday is that we wern't even working, they had the day off because we're just about caught up with first cleaups and I'm starting final cleanups tomorrow so i gave them a break, thats what i get. They didn't have my truck though, they pulled the trailer with a bronco or something.

I am dropping the customer and the story I heard was that my guys called the cutomer up, or went to the door yesturday morning and said they would do it cheaper, it was a new cutomer so the people let them do it.

The one guy that has been with me the longest i am pretty sure that the other guys talked him into it because he is normaly honest and loyal and I don't think he would ever do something like this on his own, I've known him a long time. without the other guys around i don't think he would ever do something like this agian.

I do owe one off the guys a check also ( the guy that was the brains behind the opperation) and i don't think he'll see that.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Little Green Guy, look here don't be nieve. I know you're young but you don't need to have people working for you that you can't trust. You won't be able to grow you business if you're always watching your back.

Let all of them go and start over. It's happened to all of us that have had employees. It comes with the territory. You can just try to minimize it.

1) Look at having one man crews in the future and check out having GPS put on your trucks.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2001, 10:59 PM

I ended up getting rid of all of them and have two new guys starting tomorrow, thanks guys.
Old 11-23-2001, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Being the boss means you have to make the tough decisions. If you kept any of those clowns on your team, you'd always have to worry about what they were doing behind your back. Now your new crew will know they are replacing a crew that stole from you. They will know that you are a man who expects honesty among his employees. Now take this as a fresh start and run with the new momentum.
Take care, Bill!
Old 11-23-2001, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Based on my past experience you:
1. Got some $ for their work, now let that go.
2. Fired them all, now let that go.
3. Decide whether or not the customer is culpable and keep or let go.
4. Go with your FIRST instinct!!! Let them all go. This guy will eventually burn you again. I have done this several times and I have had the same result each and every time.
Good luck.
Persistance pays, don't quit.