Register free!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

How to remove Henbit from Bermuda

I have a customer that has developed a good case of Henbit over the winter. I put down a split application of Deminsion down in mid October and another in mid February. We live just north of Atlanta Ga. His lawn was very heathy all last year with only a very mild infestation of crab grass.

I need to learn why this weed was able to germinate and how to remove it from his lawn. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its a winter weed and will die soon enough. In my lawn I had a few of those weeds but they came up in January so you may have missed your window.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Trimec or 3 way at 1.5 oz per 1000 should do the trick
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Right now we a using 3 way w/ester.It is providing good results in about 7-14 days. I am having the same problem missing the winter window with my pre M.
Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to kill henbit is Manor, but it is very slow. As above mentioned, a 3-way will do the trick most of the time. This time of the year, I personnally have a hard time getting the 3-way to take it out though. Make sure you add a sticker.

Also, prevent that stuff in the fall. 2 quarts Simazine per acre = best money you have ever spent.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdoctor1 View Post
The best way to kill henbit is Manor, but it is very slow. As above mentioned, a 3-way will do the trick most of the time. This time of the year, I personnally have a hard time getting the 3-way to take it out though. Make sure you add a sticker.

Also, prevent that stuff in the fall. 2 quarts Simazine per acre = best money you have ever spent.
Agreed, we use simazine at the 2qt. rate in the fall with 1.5 qt. of p-meth. Every yard we did in the fall is and was completely clean except for a few clumps of winter grass. We use simazine/barricade mix in the spring, and drop the simazine right before the bermuda "wakes up". The triplet or 3-way will take care of it now, but as mentioned above, make sure you add a surfactant.

John..
Joshua 24:15
Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

Reviewing back over my records on was wrong on the application I applied. I put half doses of Stonewall (Barricade) down once in October and again in February. The Lesco guys were pushing Stonwall hard and it was almost half the cost of Deminsion. All of my other lawns received full doses of Deminsion and look great.

I am thinking I am going to hand pick the big weeds from my clients lawn, mow down the rest of the yard and apply a full dose of granular Deminsion. The idea is to control any new growth with Deminsion and wait for the heat to take out the existing Henbit.

Lesco is telling me that 3 way might take a couple of applications and by then the heat will take it out anyway.

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Those guys from Lesco are idiots....all of them. I have been to 10 stores in the last year just to see if any one of them knew anything about Turf or Landscapes and all I got was the same ole' BS! Several of them have tried to pull fast ones on me and they couldn't even tell me the correct chemical name or what family of herbicide they belong to. Not to mention the prices are through the roof. Crazy!

I have been alternating Pendimethlin Aquacap and Barricade every year with great success. Adding a quart of Simazine in the Fall app. and with my Spring app has made the biggest difference in my lawns. Its cheap, mixes well with Barricade or Pendi, and improves the control. Top it off with just plain ole' 2,4-D ester and some Generation in the winter and the onion, henbit, clover don't stand a chance. Best part is...I only make 2 pre-m apps a year and my cost is under $30.00 an Acre. LAWNS ARE VERY CLEAN MOST OF THE YEAR! I get a little breakthrough in late August.

I'll give you the best summer app. money can buy...1 quart MSMA, 1 quart Surge, 6 oz generation, and 5 -10 lbs sprayable grade Ammonium Sulfate per acre. (1.5-2 gallons per 1,000 of H2O) Nutsedge, Crabgrass, and about 99% of all your broadleaf weeds will be toast. And for all you smarta**es your lawn isn't toast too. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Southernsprayguy

I like that summer formula. Does this leave any yellowing from the MSMA? If so, it can't be as bad as MSMA by itself. I think I may try this. When do you start using this formula?

Also, what formula are you using on winter/spring apps? I guess maybe round 1 & 2?

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise on treatment formulas.

I was/am concerned that the Henbit break thru was due to Lesco selling me dimension 10% vs. 20% in the past. I didn't catch the difference until after it was applied. We also took Lesco's advice on the Stonewall for one client. I'm not sold on the result. I used both a late fall app. (Nov). & late Feb. I was shocked to see the Henbit taking over.

Anyone using a source other than Lesco on chemicals & fert? With rates going thru the roof, We need a back up source. Thanks - Ed