Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

My problem exactly. I applied the Stonwall 0-0-7 (Barricade) at a half dose four months apart. This was recommended by Lesco. Talking with them yesterday they now are recommending the full dose of Barricade every 3-4 months or to go back to Dimension.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

southernsprayguy, that is a quite a cocktail. It is almost like what I will use on a bad zoysia or bermuda lawn that is more weeds than grass. 64 oz MSMA, 1 lb simazine, 11.43 oz Image DG, 1 lb 2,4-D ester and 1/2 lb Banvel in 2 gallons per M. This probably costs more than yours, but lawns here are always infested with dallisgrass, goosegrass, purple nutsedge, all varieties of kyllinga and tons of broadleaves, especially oxalis. As long as the lawn is getting adequate irrigation and at least 1/2 lb/M of N per month, the grass will handle this. I won't spray this on a lawn that I am not fertilizing or do not have control of the irrigation system.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsprayguy View Post
I'll give you the best summer app. money can buy...1 quart MSMA, 1 quart Surge, 6 oz generation, and 5 -10 lbs sprayable grade Ammonium Sulfate per acre. (1.5-2 gallons per 1,000 of H2O) Nutsedge, Crabgrass, and about 99% of all your broadleaf weeds will be toast. And for all you smarta**es your lawn isn't toast too. Good luck.
If all of this is mixed (1 quart MSMA, 1 quart Surge, 6 oz generation, and 5 -10 lbs sprayable grade Ammonium Sulfate) and applied per acre, what is the 1.5-2 gallons per 1000 of H2O mean? What strength is the MSMA?

Can dye be added to this mixture without causing problems?

When should the mixture be applied?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiesLawns View Post
Southernsprayguy

I like that summer formula. Does this leave any yellowing from the MSMA? If so, it can't be as bad as MSMA by itself. I think I may try this. When do you start using this formula?

Also, what formula are you using on winter/spring apps? I guess maybe round 1 & 2?

Thanks for the info!
I have never seen any of my lawns yellow up using that summer application....ever.

Rounds 1 & 2 are either Pendimethlin (Aquacap) or Prodiamine + Simazine and 2,4-D ester. I use Pendi on even years and Prodiamine on odd years. Works great! When temps stay above 70, I which to 2,4-D amine. Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE]........, what is the 1.5-2 gallons per 1000 of H2O mean? [QUOTE]

1.5 -2 gallons of WATER per 1000 sq ft. In other words you would mix all of that in 65 to 87 gallons of WATER and treat an acre.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
southernsprayguy, that is a quite a cocktail. It is almost like what I will use on a bad zoysia or bermuda lawn that is more weeds than grass. 64 oz MSMA, 1 lb simazine, 11.43 oz Image DG, 1 lb 2,4-D ester and 1/2 lb Banvel in 2 gallons per M. This probably costs more than yours, but lawns here are always infested with dallisgrass, goosegrass, purple nutsedge, all varieties of kyllinga and tons of broadleaves, especially oxalis. As long as the lawn is getting adequate irrigation and at least 1/2 lb/M of N per month, the grass will handle this. I won't spray this on a lawn that I am not fertilizing or do not have control of the irrigation system.
Thanks for sharing that.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLawnscape View Post
Thanks for the advise on treatment formulas.

I was/am concerned that the Henbit break thru was due to Lesco selling me dimension 10% vs. 20% in the past. I didn't catch the difference until after it was applied. We also took Lesco's advice on the Stonewall for one client. I'm not sold on the result. I used both a late fall app. (Nov). & late Feb. I was shocked to see the Henbit taking over.

Anyone using a source other than Lesco on chemicals & fert? With rates going thru the roof, We need a back up source. Thanks - Ed
I started using a company called Brandt Consolidated for most of my post patents and liquid fert. Great service and the shipping is two days most of the time. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsprayguy View Post
I started using a company called Brandt Consolidated for most of my post patents and liquid fert. Great service and the shipping is two days most of the time. Good luck.
Southernsprayguy, I have 2 questions. 1) Where is Brandt Consolidated? And what all do they sell (chemicals or fert or both)? 2) On your Rounds 1 & 2 with aquacap or prodiamine, simazine & 2,4 D, is this mixture taking care of your poa annua? If so, what rate are you using the simazine? If not, what are you spraing on the poa annua?

Thanks for all your input!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinLawnscape View Post
Thanks for the advise on treatment formulas.

I was/am concerned that the Henbit break thru was due to Lesco selling me dimension 10% vs. 20% in the past. I didn't catch the difference until after it was applied. We also took Lesco's advice on the Stonewall for one client. I'm not sold on the result. I used both a late fall app. (Nov). & late Feb. I was shocked to see the Henbit taking over.

Anyone using a source other than Lesco on chemicals & fert? With rates going thru the roof, We need a back up source. Thanks - Ed
Dimension in November is too late. Many winter annuals have already germinated. Simazine is great because is kills pre and post emerge on many broadleafs.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmartin View Post
Dimension in November is too late. Many winter annuals have already germinated. Simazine is great because is kills pre and post emerge on many broadleafs.
Simazine + MSMA will take down most grassy weeds better than either one by itself. A case of 2+2=7. I can kill goosegrass, crabgrass, crowfoot, and smutgrass, all of those are major problems here. This is especially valuable on zoysia, because the normal Sencor + MSMA tank mix will kill zoysia. Bermuda grass tolerates the MSMA + simazine much better as well. There is much less yellowing and dieback. Most MSMA on the market is 6 lb per gallon. So I am usually doing 3 lb/A. I will really miss MSMA when the EPA pulls it. Drive and Dismiss are illegal in Hawaii, so my options are limited. There is no real winter here, so preemergents will only stop future generations of weeds. Also, don't know if it a soil or climate issue, but the grasses here do not tolerate herbicides such as Dimension, Pre-M or Barricade very well. The root pruning effect damages the lawn and actually opens up the turf to weed invasion.